Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

14 Pages«<678910>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Davide Carpi  
#141 Posted : 07 May 2013 00:24:15(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Italy

Was thanked: 1329 time(s) in 875 post(s)
Originally Posted by: smath Go to Quoted Post
I'm agree. Do you have an exact example (which requires no additional plug-ins) where I can see an issue?

Regards.

Actually, not... Grabli

Except for the calculation output - when the output is null and the right side unit is not set (but this is widely acceptable, I think) - the zero-with-units handling of SMath Studio is very good...

The error shown above by Martin arises inside the plugin when you want to add parameters not given by the user (domain bounds, tollerances, etc...).

Using a set of homemade low-level functions to get or remove units (something like this code), I've tried with two approaches:
1) Assigning units to dimensionless parameteres from known values (functions, variables) -> if functions or variables are null I can't assign units -> when SMath parse the function at the first iteration retrieve an incongruence and (correctly) output an error; actually the workaround is to use a little non null value.
2) The second approach, that I'm following now (mainly for other purposes ), is to strip-off all input units, solve equations with dimensionless functions and parameters, and set again the units on the result. The issue with this approach is that you can have some dimensionless correct results (no unit as input no unit as output)

Maybe exist a secure way to obtain units from terms even when the functions/variables returns a dimensional null value (but I don't know it) Wallbash

Originally Posted by: mkraska Go to Quoted Post
I'd recommend to put all current material (beta and non-beta) to the topic starter posting. But never mind, I am now a bit more strict in archiving plugin distros (and just can cite uni: need more sleep...)

Thank you, done Good

best regards,

w3b5urf3r

Edited by user 07 May 2013 00:42:12(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

If you like my plugins consider to support SMath Studio buying a plan; to offer me a coffee: paypal.me/dcprojects
Offline Davide Carpi  
#142 Posted : 14 June 2013 11:54:18(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Man
Italy

Hi all,

there's a beta of Nonlinear Solvers available in the online gallery; is not yet finished (because I want to add other algorithms and a couple of new features, and obviously the multilanguage UI) but who want can try it (password: NonlinearSolvers)

Unfortunatly I can't make a complete documentation but you can referrer to:
- Martin's handbook
- this album

best regards,

Davide
If you like my plugins consider to support SMath Studio buying a plan; to offer me a coffee: paypal.me/dcprojects
thanks 4 users thanked Davide Carpi for this useful post.
on 14/06/2013(UTC),  on 14/06/2013(UTC),  on 14/06/2013(UTC),  on 14/06/2013(UTC)
Offline mkraska  
#143 Posted : 05 August 2013 01:21:04(UTC)
mkraska

Groups: Registered
Germany

Was thanked: 1124 time(s) in 721 post(s)
Here is a proposal for a unit-proof and user-friendly linear solver.

Davide, I propose to include it in the NonLinearSolvers plugin, perhaps as FindRoot(1).

- Equations can be specified using boolean equal with arbitrary distribution of linear and absolute terms to left and right hand side
- equations and unknowns can have arbitrary and different units
- no need for initial guess
- no need for specification of result units

I was not able to reproduce the embedded assignment feature in the example procedure. I would propose to enable that by default and perhaps provide an optional assignment flag.
Also, a linearity check (e.g. hessian-based) might be sensible.

The procedure LinSolve() looks more cumbersome than it ought to be, because of unreliable symbolic matrix inversion and multiplication. Fortunately, the alg() function works and thus the inverse can be computed with moderate coding effort.

LinSolve() provides an alternative for "hand made" sparse linear systems, as they typically occure in basic engineering mechanics. For densly populated systems, the matrix notation of the system might be more appropriate.

File Attachment(s):
Linsolve.sm (49kb) downloaded 77 time(s).
mkraska attached the following image(s):
Linsolve.PNG
Martin Kraska

Pre-configured portable distribution of SMath Studio: https://smath.com/wiki/SMath_with_Plugins.ashx
thanks 3 users thanked mkraska for this useful post.
on 05/08/2013(UTC),  on 05/08/2013(UTC),  on 06/08/2013(UTC)
Offline sija  
#144 Posted : 05 August 2013 07:47:12(UTC)
sija

Man
Poland

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Martin!

Thank you for your perfect work and bright examples. This function will be very helpful for us when it will be included to the plugin.

The best regards,
Janusz

Edited by user 05 August 2013 07:50:05(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline omorr  
#145 Posted : 05 August 2013 12:30:01(UTC)
omorr

Man
Serbia

Was thanked: 318 time(s) in 268 post(s)
Here is a proposal for a unit-proof and user-friendly linear solver.

Davide, I propose to include it in the NonLinearSolvers plugin, perhaps as FindRoot(1).

- Equations can be specified using boolean equal with arbitrary distribution of linear and absolute terms to left and right hand side
- equations and unknowns can have arbitrary and different units
- no need for initial guess
- no need for specification of result units

I was not able to reproduce the embedded assignment feature in the example procedure. I would propose to enable that by default and perhaps provide an optional assignment flag.
Also, a linearity check (e.g. hessian-based) might be sensible.

The procedure LinSolve() looks more cumbersome than it ought to be, because of unreliable symbolic matrix inversion and multiplication. Fortunately, the alg() function works and thus the inverse can be computed with moderate coding effort.

LinSolve() provides an alternative for "hand made" sparse linear systems, as they typically occure in basic engineering mechanics. For densly populated systems, the matrix notation of the system might be more appropriate.

I agree with you completely Good . Your solution is quite educative and very interesting. A linear solver of this kind would be rather appreciated. We are also aware of unreliable Jacobian (derivatives) calculation, matrix inverse etc. Nevertheless, classical nonlinear solver approach could stuck if you give the linear system and try to force it in a nonlinear fashion. I suppose that you gave the idea to Davide how to make a basically linear solver. I just would like if there would be a possibility to incorporate into the solvers some kind of linearity check, like you said, and the option to solve it as a linear problem.

Regards,
Radovan

Edited by user 05 August 2013 12:45:49(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

When Sisyphus climbed to the top of a hill, they said: "Wrong boulder!"
Offline Davide Carpi  
#146 Posted : 05 August 2013 13:26:24(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Man
Italy

Thank you Martin, I'll add surely your code into the plugin Good

Originally Posted by: omorr Go to Quoted Post
I just would like if there would be a possibility to incorporate into the solvers some kind of linearity check, like you said, and the option to solve it as a linear problem.

me too... Crazy
Offline Davide Carpi  
#147 Posted : 05 August 2013 21:04:13(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Man
Italy

I agree Good

BTW also DotNumerics contains some linear solvers Wink
thanks 1 user thanked Davide Carpi for this useful post.
on 05/08/2013(UTC)
Offline mkraska  
#148 Posted : 05 August 2013 22:15:19(UTC)
mkraska

Germany

Originally Posted by: ioan92 Go to Quoted Post
Your solution could be of certain practical interest (!?).
Linking this topic (of linear solvers) with that of non linear solvers is not the best way of dealing the subject, in my opinion.
Using SMat for sparse matrix linear solvers seems attractive for me.

The only reason why I posted the issue here is that I see the proposed linear solver as a special case of the findroot function in the nonlinear solvers plugin. I am very happy with the user interface of this solver, in particular
- the flexible way to specify the equations (in close to natural notation)
- unrestricted use of units
- and the embedded assignment, which allows me to display and use the unknowns as soon as the solver was called, without any post-processing.

It is just laziness that I do not want to specify initial guesses when that should not be necessary.

With the term "sparse matrix solver" I had in mind just moderate systems with hand-written equations, let's say e.g. equilibrium conditions next to free body diagrams.

Some numeric libraries (like ITPACK) provide dedicated solvers for sparse matrices with elaborate storage techniques. This issue is by no way related to my proposal.

However, I would not mind the moderators to shift the discussion to a separate topic. For the time being I hope for ruthless testing of the proposed algorithm.
Martin Kraska

Pre-configured portable distribution of SMath Studio: https://smath.com/wiki/SMath_with_Plugins.ashx
thanks 1 user thanked mkraska for this useful post.
on 05/08/2013(UTC)
Offline omorr  
#149 Posted : 05 August 2013 22:31:53(UTC)
omorr

Man
Serbia

Originally Posted by: w3b5urf3r_reloaded Go to Quoted Post
I agree Good

BTW also DotNumerics contains some linear solvers Wink

You are right Good , and that is very useful by using different algorithms for say, overdetermened, underdetermined systems etc. (some testing from the users might be useful here). Moreover, as I figured out, these functions need matrices of the system A and resulting vector B. Martin posted an alternative to this problem and gave it in a bit different form pointing out to the FindRoot() functions from NonlinearSOlvers plugin and equations given with boolean equal to. I've just commented that because this remind me on the ability of some symbolic engines which are capable of solving the linear equations which do not look linear at all at, a first glance. I meant something like this:

maple(solve(sys(5*x-6≡8,5+6*x/y≡10*z/y,x/y≡3,3,1),sys(x,y,z,3,1)))=mat(14/5,14/15,161/75,3,1)

but I do not know if something like this could be done directly in SMath.

Regards,
Radovan

Edited by user 05 August 2013 22:37:43(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked omorr for this useful post.
on 05/08/2013(UTC)
Offline mkraska  
#150 Posted : 12 September 2013 00:11:44(UTC)
mkraska

Germany

I found an example, where FindRoot() silently returns a solution that by far does not solve the given equations. It is ok that the solution may depend on initial values. In the given case, however, there is only a single solution and the wrong result is not converged. I have no idea what causes the problem. Setting tight error limits does not help.
File Attachment(s):
Example Linsolve Beam2.sm (22kb) downloaded 46 time(s).
findroot.PNG
Martin Kraska

thanks 2 users thanked mkraska for this useful post.
on 12/09/2013(UTC),  on 12/09/2013(UTC)
Offline omorr  
#151 Posted : 12 September 2013 10:58:05(UTC)
omorr

Man
Serbia

Thank you Martin for this,

It is interesting to note that FindRoot() would take a considerable time to solve it with the appropriate initial guess (about 2min on my comp). I have no idea why FindRoot() gave the wrong results with some other initial guess (hope that Davide will find the problem). I also tried DotNumeric solver - see the picture please. The difference is regarding "units like variables" (no units here). The result might not be considered correct, and regarding that this is a numerical solver, I have no idea how dn_LinAlgSolve() escaped from this.

Regards,
Radovan
omorr attached the following image(s):
linsolve.png
Offline mkraska  
#152 Posted : 12 September 2013 22:46:27(UTC)
mkraska

Germany

The difference is regarding "units like variables" (no units here). The result might not be considered correct, and regarding that this is a numerical solver, I have no idea how dn_LinAlgSolve() escaped from this.

Let me just contribute a guess, Andrey may confirm or correct: Any unit that is not assigned to any dimension, is considered to be a base unit system on it's own. Thus, for procedures that cannot handle units, they are just set to one and the user must take care to assign the correct unit to the result. I do not think that dn_LinAlgSolve() has any provisions for handling this (uni, correct me if I am wrong).

Martin Kraska

on 12/11/2013(UTC)
Offline mkraska  
#153 Posted : 12 November 2013 00:03:03(UTC)
mkraska

Germany

The functions Gradient and Gradient.CD complain if the function is a vector.
File Attachment(s):
Gradient.sm (17kb) downloaded 44 time(s).
Gradient.CD.sm (10kb) downloaded 45 time(s).
Gradient.PNG
Martin Kraska

on 12/11/2013(UTC)
Offline omorr  
#154 Posted : 12 November 2013 00:36:24(UTC)
omorr

Man
Serbia

Why not Jacobian(), Jacobian.CD() from this plugin?

Regards,
Radovan
omorr attached the following image(s):
grad-jac.png
Offline mkraska  
#155 Posted : 12 November 2013 01:10:10(UTC)
mkraska

Germany

Because I just wanted to fill the gaps of the active book function reference. I had the impression from the test file that the function was meant to handle vector functions. Davide, correct me if that is wrong.
Martin Kraska

Offline omorr  
#156 Posted : 12 November 2013 01:39:55(UTC)
omorr

Man
Serbia

Because I just wanted to fill the gaps of the active book function reference. I had the impression from the test file that the function was meant to handle vector functions. Davide, correct me if that is wrong.

Yes, you are right about the test file (Gradient_testing.sm). I did not remember this in the first place, but guessed there must be a reason you asked about it Good

Regards,
Radovan

Edited by user 12 November 2013 01:43:46(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Davide Carpi  
#157 Posted : 24 November 2013 16:29:58(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Man
Italy

This feature was deleted in the alpha version, I'll think if could be restored...
Offline mkraska  
#158 Posted : 24 November 2013 20:02:04(UTC)
mkraska

Germany

Originally Posted by: w3b5urf3r_reloaded Go to Quoted Post
This feature was deleted in the alpha version, I'll think if could be restored...

No special need for that. If Gradient is deprecated and replaced by Jacobian(), then be it.
Martin Kraska

on 24/11/2013(UTC)
Offline mkraska  
#159 Posted : 03 December 2013 03:02:24(UTC)
mkraska

Germany

Jacobian.CD seems to be unstable.

Davide, do you have any valid test or demo file, describing the expected functions?
Jacobian.PNG
Martin Kraska

Offline Davide Carpi  
#160 Posted : 03 December 2013 15:48:22(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Man
Italy

Thank you Martin,

you are right, I'll try to fix it...
Davide Carpi attached the following image(s):
2013-12-03 13_45_53-SMath Studio Desktop - [Documento1_].png