Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline RFreund  
#1 Posted : 31 March 2014 17:45:04(UTC)
RFreund

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 17 post(s)
What is the best way to use tables?
Should I create spreadsheets and import the values from the spreadsheet?
or
Should I create matrices and save them as snippets and copy them into the current calculation then hide them?
or
Is there a way to import from other SMath calcs where I can create large Matrices?

Maybe this is preference? Is one easy/better than the other?

Thanks again!

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your SMath Studio Forum forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline mkraska  
#2 Posted : 31 March 2014 22:23:43(UTC)
mkraska

Germany

Was thanked: 1124 time(s) in 721 post(s)
Originally Posted by: RFreund Go to Quoted Post
What is the best way to use tables?
Should I create spreadsheets and import the values from the spreadsheet?
That is easy with importData.ODS() and ImportData.XLSX() (documented in the pdf Handbuch)

Should I create matrices and save them as snippets and copy them into the current calculation then hide them?
There is no comfortable matrix editor, therefore, I do not recommend that. Snippets have the inherent risk of outdating.

Is there a way to import from other SMath calcs where I can create large Matrices?
That is possible with include(). Again, I would recommend to use external files.

In Buchmayr (2002), you find under mcd-files/mcd_K8_Bauteil&Werkstoffauswahl a mathcad file for generation of Ashby style material property charts with corresponding data files (csv format). I believe that this can be reproduced in SMath Studio.

Martin Kraska

Pre-configured portable distribution of SMath Studio: https://smath.com/wiki/SMath_with_Plugins.ashx
Offline RFreund  
#3 Posted : 06 April 2014 04:06:10(UTC)
RFreund

United States

Hmmm, for some reason my post response disappeared.

First thank you for the response.

A few follow up questions:

Quote:
Snippets have the inherent risk of outdating

What do you mean by this?

In following situation what would you suggest?
I'd like to make an excel workbook with multiple worksheets which contain different material properties and sections. So say a concrete sheet, steel, masonry, etc. I would be using this data workbook for calculations on a few different computers so I'd like to make relative references to the data workbook (spreadsheet).
Also I'm thinking I would make snippets that I would use in my calculations. So for example:
You create a new calculations smath page. You need to design a steel beam. You go to snippets and select steel beam. This adds the calculation to the page. You input your design forces, then select a beam size. The calculation finds all the necessary beam properties in the data workbook/spreadsheet which is in the same folder as the smath calculation (relative reference). Then I add another snippet this time say for a concrete member and so on.

Does this seem possible?

Also regarding Buchmayer - I wish I spoke German and my ancestors are probably disappointed in me.... but is this just a large database of section properties?

Thanks again!
Offline mkraska  
#4 Posted : 06 April 2014 15:33:42(UTC)
mkraska

Germany

Quote:
Snippets have the inherent risk of outdating

What do you mean by this?

If you make corrections to your snippets, then these changes only affect sheets which import the snippet after the correction. Documents of different age may contain different versions of the same snippet. If that is ok (or even required for documentation purposes), then you are fine with snippets. If not, then you might consider include(), which dynamically includes definitions from sm-files (but does not execute them, as I understand).
Quote:
In following situation what would you suggest?
I'd like to make an excel workbook with multiple worksheets which contain different material properties and sections. So say a concrete sheet, steel, masonry, etc. I would be using this data workbook for calculations on a few different computers so I'd like to make relative references to the data workbook (spreadsheet).
Also I'm thinking I would make snippets that I would use in my calculations. So for example:
You create a new calculations smath page. You need to design a steel beam. You go to snippets and select steel beam. This adds the calculation to the page. You input your design forces, then select a beam size. The calculation finds all the necessary beam properties in the data workbook/spreadsheet which is in the same folder as the smath calculation (relative reference). Then I add another snippet this time say for a concrete member and so on.

Does this seem possible?

I think this is possible. If you are not going to combine different snippets in a single document, you might generally use template files.

I am considering a similar project based on the german FKM Richtlinie design code.

Quote:
Also regarding Buchmayer - I wish I spoke German and my ancestors are probably disappointed in me.... but is this just a large database of section properties?

The example I mentioned is on material data (metals, ceramics, polymers...), not on sections. But many suppliers provide data tables for sections, which can be read into SMath.

Martin Kraska

Pre-configured portable distribution of SMath Studio: https://smath.com/wiki/SMath_with_Plugins.ashx
Offline RFreund  
#5 Posted : 08 April 2014 17:34:25(UTC)
RFreund

United States

Martin, thanks again for entertaining my questions.

When you say template files, what are you referring to?

It seems the main difficulty is that in order to "perform work" (i.e. findrows()) on the table you must import the table. So say for example the steel beam example. I must first import all the sections to be able to look for the correct section selected. I must also only import this table once or it will start to slow down the page.

Do you know if there is a way to have a dropdown list. And not only a dropdown list, a dropdown list that is populated from an external file. i.e. I would like to have all the steel sections load into a dropdown list.

Anyway let me know how your progress goes.

Attached is an example for a steel beam. The small issue is that this calculation may be repeated many times on a page.

Edit:

FYI there are errors in the design procedure. Only intended as an example

Edited by user 16 April 2014 20:16:29(UTC)  | Reason: Warning of errors in beam design calc

File Attachment(s):
Data Table Beam Example.7z (777kb) downloaded 159 time(s).
Offline Davide Carpi  
#6 Posted : 08 April 2014 22:23:39(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Italy

Was thanked: 1329 time(s) in 875 post(s)
Hi Ioan,
I'm exploring how to accomplish your request, but I'm a little bit busy this month so it's not matter of days....

Btw as general rule a radio button list is useful for a short list of options (so if you need to use it as selector for steel sections, the control should be chunked in many controls, e.g. section shape and section height...) (Actually I can't see your example, so maybe you have already done something similar Good )

Best regards,

Davide
If you like my plugins consider to support SMath Studio buying a plan; to offer me a coffee: paypal.me/dcprojects
thanks 1 user thanked Davide Carpi for this useful post.
on 08/04/2014(UTC)
Offline Davide Carpi  
#7 Posted : 09 April 2014 01:26:23(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Man
Italy

Originally Posted by: ioan92 Go to Quoted Post
As they say: if you do not have some bread, you could take some cakes...

That's a little bakery but step by step we'll try to produce also the bread Biggrin

This board requires you to be registered and logged-in before you can view hidden messages.

Edited by user 09 April 2014 01:49:44(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

If you like my plugins consider to support SMath Studio buying a plan; to offer me a coffee: paypal.me/dcprojects
thanks 3 users thanked Davide Carpi for this useful post.
on 09/04/2014(UTC),  on 09/04/2014(UTC),  on 06/07/2018(UTC)
Offline RFreund  
#8 Posted : 12 April 2014 02:36:59(UTC)
RFreund

United States

Thanks again for the replies. I will take a look at your proposed solution.
A couple of quick questions:
Quote:
If I may a suggestion is: to take care on overlapping regions.

When you say regions - you mean the box that highlights the area (aka region) of text on the page?
Is overlapping bad? Reason I was doing this was to get everything to fit on one page. And some sloppiness...

Ioan - I'm not sure what type of calculations you are creating but if they are similar to mine do I have the correct process? Meaning importing a table then "performing work" on the table when inside SMath? Also just out of curiosity do you create Structural Engineering Calculations? I'd really like to create a robust continuous beam analysis calculation that I can use in my calc page but I would need to use it repeatedly and it just seems like the file would get too big. I'm not even sure where to start with something like that. You would need a separate page that would act as an algorithm and you would send your inputs to the this algorthm and then they would be sent back for each separate case.

Side question - Why does the "thank" you button not work for me (google chrome browser and/or IE11) I can't see the hidden message!!!! Clapping
Offline RFreund  
#9 Posted : 12 April 2014 02:54:21(UTC)
RFreund

United States

Another question -

Ioan - I can't seem to use your files as they were created in a newer version and it says that I need a "Math Region" plugin, which apparently does not exist.
Any ideas on what I can do?
Also just so I understand ->
you created a file using wfile then you read the file to the variable. After this are you suppose to delete the origional commands that created the matrix. Or how did you
Quote:
Once saved the table, I disabled some commands.
disable the commands? Which commands?

Sorry for so many questions, some day I hope to know enough to really do something... someday...
Offline RFreund  
#10 Posted : 13 April 2014 17:49:10(UTC)
RFreund

United States

Ioan -
Quote:
1. I'm doing the same kind of Structural Engineering work as you. So I understand well your work.

This is great to hear, I will try to not ask too many questions but I'm sure I will have some. I try to start another thread to try and convey some fundamental questions I have about the best way to apply the program toward structural engineering calculations (although I'm sure they can apply to any engineering discipline).

I have problems opening the file still and I'm curious why this is.
First when I opened the file it informed me that the calculations was created with a newer version, so I downloaded the latest versions of the nightly builds.
Then when I try to open the file I receive this message.
Dependencies

So I downloaded the combobox but I cannot download the math region (why is this?).

Then when I open the program without the math region I receive this message.

Error Message

Any insight on my problems?
Offline mkraska  
#11 Posted : 13 April 2014 20:46:32(UTC)
mkraska

Germany

Just for fun: here is table selector based on sliders with selection highlighting by a 2d plot region. No use except being a small programming exercise...

Note: by changing the position of any region, the z-ordering if plot region and matrix seems to be reversed.

Edited by user 13 April 2014 20:49:05(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
Tabellenauswahl.sm (1,086kb) downloaded 86 time(s).
mkraska attached the following image(s):
tab.PNG
Martin Kraska

thanks 1 user thanked mkraska for this useful post.
on 13/04/2014(UTC)
Offline Davide Carpi  
#12 Posted : 13 April 2014 21:03:21(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Man
Italy

Any insight on my problems?

That Math Region plugin is a built-in plugin and the required version is embedded in the Nightly build: SMath Studio 0.97.5189 (17 March 2014)

If is the version that you have installed, could be useful to uninstall completely SMath Studio using external tools like Geek uninstaller, to be sure that the further installation comes in a clean environment

Edited by user 13 April 2014 21:06:20(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

on 13/04/2014(UTC)
Offline mkraska  
#13 Posted : 13 April 2014 23:10:11(UTC)
mkraska

Germany

I don't know why, when the focus is on a slider the plot zone turns invisible and vice versa, being hard to use.

Very strange. As shown in the attachment, the matrix keeps being displayed in front of the plot region when the slider has focus. If I shift any region by just one step, then the plot region comes to the foreground and the matrix disappears. But you obviously mentioned a different problem, which I cannot reproduce.

tab1.PNG
Martin Kraska

on 14/04/2014(UTC)
Offline Davide Carpi  
#14 Posted : 14 April 2014 00:42:05(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Man
Italy

By putting focus on the slider (as you can see) the plot zone becomes white.
I tried this on two different computers.

The same for me, but you can see the figure shown by Martin if you select both the matrix and the underlying image region and you move a little bit to the bottom the selection.
on 14/04/2014(UTC)
Offline mkraska  
#15 Posted : 14 April 2014 02:04:14(UTC)
mkraska

Germany

This one is more robust, no overlapping regions and no quotes any more. Much easier to adjust.
File Attachment(s):
Tabellenauswahl1.sm (1,072kb) downloaded 81 time(s).
tab2.PNG
Martin Kraska

on 14/04/2014(UTC)
Offline Davide Carpi  
#16 Posted : 04 May 2014 15:10:19(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Man
Italy

The bread.... (Ioan's worksheet + ComboBoxList) Good

edit: numeric optimization of data matrix

Edited by user 04 May 2014 15:56:57(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
Steel - Member WF Combined Stresses direct.sm (1,062kb) downloaded 149 time(s).
on 09/05/2014(UTC)
Offline RFreund  
#17 Posted : 09 May 2014 00:47:14(UTC)
RFreund

United States

Clap

Very Nice!!

Note:
This worksheet as far as beam design goes is in error. It checks for unbraced length incorrectly.

Offline RFreund  
#18 Posted : 24 July 2014 20:02:41(UTC)
RFreund

United States

Where can I find how the Combobox works again.... I'm doing somthing wrong.

How do I tell the combo box what information it should contain?

Thanks!
Offline mkraska  
#19 Posted : 24 July 2014 20:47:41(UTC)
mkraska

Germany

Where can I find how the Combobox works again.... I'm doing somthing wrong.

How do I tell the combo box what information it should contain?

Thanks!

Double click in the active area->Settings (may take some tries)
Martin Kraska

Offline RFreund  
#20 Posted : 24 July 2014 20:59:51(UTC)
RFreund

United States

Thanks Martin I will Take a look at it.

Ioan previously had used wfile and rfile to speed up the proccess of importing tables.

Is there a way to import the table from excel then store it as a matrix in smath then delete the link to the excel file?

Thanks.