Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline ngdev38  
#1 Posted : 25 August 2010 18:18:01(UTC)
ngdev38

Groups: Registered
Man

Greetings to all.

Great software with lots of potential. Thank you.

I have a few questions regarding importing and displaying data.

I am importing data with

dd:=importData("D:\Documents\SMath.csv",".",0,",",0,174,0,16,1)

I noticed that 174 rows is the maximum number of rows I can import. Is this a hard-limit? I deal with many thousands of data most of the time. After the import, I extract columns of data into vectors and do many simple algebraic manipulations.

D:=rows(dd, 1)
C:=rows(dd, 2)

Just to make an example
Cmin:=min(C)
Cmax:=max(C)

E:=C/(Cmax-Cmin)

Then, I do plotting

Plot(Augment(D, E))

I do not get anything plotted. Do you have any advice?

I have some suggestions regarding 2D plotting. I know that it is a bit too much to ask for features in your first post. But without plotting/displaying your results it is difficult to use the software.

1. Any plans for giving the option of making the plot axes selectively semi-log or log-log. I know the workaround but it does not look like the standard plots in monograms if you take the log of the data instead of axes. These plot types are used very often in many engineering fields.

2. The option of manually setting the axes limits instead of scrolling/panning.

Thank you again for such a useful software.

Best regards,

Nihat

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your SMath Studio Forum forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline omorr  
#2 Posted : 25 August 2010 22:22:25(UTC)
omorr

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Serbia

Was thanked: 318 time(s) in 268 post(s)
Hello, and welcome Good
ngdev38 wrote:

I am importing data with

dd:=importData("D:\Documents\SMath.csv",".",0,",",0,174,0,16,1)

I noticed that 174 rows is the maximum number of rows I can import. Is this a hard-limit? I deal with many thousands of data most of the time. After the import, I extract columns of data into vectors and do many simple algebraic manipulations.

D:=rows(dd, 1)
C:=rows(dd, 2)

You've made a mistake here. Function for extracting a column of matrix is "col". You used "rows" which is the function returning the number of rows in a matrix. Therefore, for extracting columns and rows use "col(M,n)" and "row(M,m)" respectively.

ngdev38 wrote:
Just to make an example
Cmin:=min(C)
Cmax:=max(C)

E:=C/(Cmax-Cmin)

Then, I do plotting

Plot(Augment(D, E))

I do not get anything plotted. Do you have any advice?

As I've said - there was a mistake. Moreover, you have to augment two columns or to have a matrix with two columns. First column will be the x-axis and second the y-axis. On the other hand, ploting two column matrix with thousands of rows will make some problems with plotting. There will take to much time to zoom in and out. Moreover, I imported matrices with more than 500 rows and columns, but this will also take quite a long time to read in the SMath.

Regards,
Radovan

Edited by user 25 August 2010 22:25:16(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

When Sisyphus climbed to the top of a hill, they said: "Wrong boulder!"
Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#3 Posted : 26 August 2010 00:37:25(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Groups: Developers, Registered, Knovel Developers, Administrators, Advanced Member
Man
Russian Federation

Was thanked: 1978 time(s) in 666 post(s)
Hello Nihat.

ngdev38 wrote:
I noticed that 174 rows is the maximum number of rows I can import. Is this a hard-limit?

SMath Studio has no limitation regarding maximum number of lines to import (at least by design). Can I ask you to upload your data file to the forum or on my e-mail (see it into the About Dialog of the program).

Best regards, Andrey Ivashov.

Edited by user 26 August 2010 02:44:26(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline ngdev38  
#4 Posted : 26 August 2010 02:29:06(UTC)
ngdev38

Man

Hello Radovan and Andre,

Thank you for your replies. I made some progress in resolving some of the issues.

1. The col vs. rows: I had it correctly coded as col(dd, 1) etc. I just wrote it wrong in the email.
2. The import problem was due some empty lines in the csv file. After deleting the lines it started importing correctly.
3. I still cannot plot using the augment(vector1, vector2) syntax.

I uploaded my csv and sm files to the wiki.

smath.zip

Best regards,

Nihat
Offline omorr  
#5 Posted : 26 August 2010 10:52:52(UTC)
omorr

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Serbia

Was thanked: 318 time(s) in 268 post(s)
Hello Nihat,

Here is the picture of your SMath file

As you could see, there is a plot visible here. The problem is that you have to use Ctrl+mouse scroll and Shift+mouse scrool in order to Zoom in-out via x-axis and y -axis, until you get the plot. Then Save it, in order to get the axis ranges saved as well.

The axis range issue was mentioned few times here. The problem is when having large matrices, as in your case, and Zooming in-out with the mouse, redrawing will take to much time. Moreover, large matrices are not advisable to present on the screen - they will take to much space. I think that Andrey will resolve all of this as soon as he finds the appropriate solution.

Regards,
Radovan

Edited by user 26 August 2010 10:58:13(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

When Sisyphus climbed to the top of a hill, they said: "Wrong boulder!"
Offline ngdev38  
#6 Posted : 26 August 2010 17:41:09(UTC)
ngdev38

Man

Radovan,

Thank you for clarifying the plot issue for me. I hope that the developer(s) in the future will have the time to focus on improving the plot functionality. I will email separately a wish-list to feature request mailing list to capture some of the ideas.

Regards,

Nihat