Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Jean Giraud  
#1 Posted : 17 May 2016 23:33:56(UTC)
Jean Giraud

Groups: Registered
Canada

Was thanked: 980 time(s) in 808 post(s)
Please read caefully if you can help and/or find the missing link.

I'm XP SP3.
Downloaded 5935, installed msi in Program Files, in separate folder than 5346.
At this point, there is no plugins. Then donwloaded all plugins, open/unzip,
copy all dll's, pasted in 5935 plugins folder.

The installer installed the icon.

Smath 5935_0.gif

Like expected, some plugins are not active, fine...

Smath 5935_1.gif

... click "close" to open 5935, it opens. I can see the slider, the numeric up/down
is not there and so on. From the f(x), "Dot Numeric is there, fft, NOT mwxxx, not "cases"
and so on. open smath 5346 work shets NONE[ read NONE] of the 5346 open.
Just this mystic message

Smath 5935_2.gif

It will calculate ln(2) and maybe few more ... quick plot is dead @ ... I can see the
vectorize operator and the blue bar across the scroll bar ... the slider works...

Whatever else, I get more mystic messages

Smath 5935_4.gif

Smath 5935_3.gif

I can see all the working plugins in the folder and from the 5935 work sheet
What the hell is wrong. As it looks the "Plugins Manager" does not manage much.
For what 5935 does to me today, I don't need. Hope some way to rescue, will wait
a day or two and attempt XP Restore. If dead: will catch the next wind for hell.

Cheers, thanks in advance, Jean.

Note that by installing 5935, it zapped the icon of 5346. All the former 5346 plugins
are the in the folder but 5346 is all dead and all the work sheets.

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your SMath Studio Forum forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline Alex M.  
#2 Posted : 18 May 2016 00:09:03(UTC)
Alex M.

Canada

Was thanked: 125 time(s) in 96 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Jean Giraud Go to Quoted Post

I'm XP SP3.
At this point, there is no plugins. Then donwloaded all plugins, open/unzip,

The installer installed the icon.

Smath 5935_0.gif

Like expected, some plugins are not active, fine...

Smath 5935_1.gif

... click "close" to open 5935, it opens. I can see the slider, the numeric up/down
is not there and so on. From the f(x), "Dot Numeric is there, fft, NOT mwxxx, not "cases"
and so on. open smath 5346 work shets NONE[ read NONE] of the 5346 open.
Just this mystic message

I can see all the working plugins in the folder and from the 5935 work sheet
What the hell is wrong. As it looks the "Plugins Manager" does not manage much.
For what 5935 does to me today, I don't need. Hope some way to rescue, will wait
a day or two and attempt XP Restore. If dead: will catch the next wind for hell.

Cheers, thanks in advance, Jean.

Note that by installing 5935, it zapped the icon of 5346. All the former 5346 plugins
are the in the folder but 5346 is all dead and all the work sheets.

The correct way to update is:

Download install latest MSI overwriting current installation (in you case, since since you were doing some manual stuff, completely uninstall SMath and remove folder in user/appdata).

Once the latest version is installed open it up. Go to plugins - > online gallery (include beta versions). Update all plugins highlighted purple.

You are good to go.

Anyway if you do NOTHING by hand (unzipping / pasting) you are very likely to encounter ZERO problems.

And remember, in Soviet Russia you do not mess with software, the software messes with you!

P.S.: I apologize for crude humor, hope no one got too offended here.

Edited by user 18 May 2016 00:10:51(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Davide Carpi  
#3 Posted : 18 May 2016 01:47:14(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Italy

Was thanked: 1323 time(s) in 873 post(s)

I'm XP SP3.
At this point, there is no plugins.

Wrong. Settings and extensions (plugins, snippets, workbooks, ...) are stored for each Windows account in the %APPDATA%\smath directory. When you update or you install another version you inherit all the extensions from that path.
This means that you cannot install 2 different versions for the same account, because they share this folder, and plugins made for a version often are not compatible with the second (and vice-versa), thus one or both the executables will fall in troubles.
In theory I guess it is possible to have 2 versions for two users, if you install every version "only for me" when prompted at the begin of the installer (never tested).
The only way to have more than a version for the same account, is to use a portable version, that stands in his bubble soap.

Then donwloaded all plugins, open/unzip,

Not sure what you did here, but take into account that if you have a plugin in the installer plugins directory (C:\programs...\SMath Studio\plugins) and the same plugin downloaded via extensions manager (%APPDATA%\smath\extensions\plugins), the extensions manager version will be used; also, the Extensions Manager will no show you updates for that plugin. This folder is intended just for built-in plugins and for developers (for fast testing).

In short:
  • Have only one version for the installer
  • Do not put dlls in the executable path or his plugins folder

Edited by user 18 May 2016 02:05:18(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

If you like my plugins consider to support SMath Studio buying a plan; to offer me a coffee: paypal.me/dcprojects
Offline Jean Giraud  
#4 Posted : 18 May 2016 03:49:38(UTC)
Jean Giraud

Canada

... Following your guidance, Alex, did restore the @ plot but nothing else including collapsed area.

Thanks XP Restore, back on foot but dead again. Click on one of my USB backup, back like before,
and re-install the USB backup in original C:\

Plugins should be compatible with the last working non beta version, i.e: 5346
From that version the non working Maxima should be recycled so to have a unique "SmathEngineer" installation.

Cheers, thanks, too bad for my miserable day, Jean
Offline Alex M.  
#5 Posted : 18 May 2016 04:09:55(UTC)
Alex M.

Canada

... Following your guidance, Alex, did restore the @ plot but nothing else including collapsed area.

Thanks XP Restore, back on foot but dead again. Click on one of my USB backup, back like before,
and re-install the USB backup in original C:\

Plugins should be compatible with the last working non beta version, i.e: 5346
From that version the non working Maxima should be recycled so to have a unique "SmathEngineer" installation.

Cheers, thanks, too bad for my miserable day, Jean

Hey, sorry to hear your troubles... I am very hopeful we can get you working with the latest stable 0.98.5935.

When you are in trouble it is always best to:

1. Completely remove Smath from Control Panel / programs nd features, delete C:\Program Files (x86)\SMath Studio and C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\SMath. This will COMPLETELY erase any trace of SMath Studio on your machine. Also delete / unplug portable install as well, just to be sure.

2. For certainty, search & extreminate for anything that includes SMath in the name in your file system (never had to do this myself). Also search the registry? Again never did that. Now you are back to step one (where you would like to be).

3. Download and install latest stable from here http://en.smath.info/for...5935--01-April-2016.aspx

I have installed SMath on many machines from XP to Win 10 and those two steps never failed me when things went sour. SMath install should not be this painful; never was for me on all 4 PCs. I feel for you.

Also in future, if you upgrade to a newer version by running updated MSI, on first start go to plugins - > online gallery - > include beta and update all purple colored plugins. If this is not done you may encounter errors.

Edited by user 18 May 2016 04:11:55(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Jean Giraud  
#6 Posted : 18 May 2016 04:31:29(UTC)
Jean Giraud

Canada

Alex, my dear collab:

I guess you have been shiting brikcs with those gamicks. All what you are saying is in short
"evaporate Smath", same was for installing Mathcad 11. There should be a "Procedure" of these
steps in the page to download. In the few steps of the !!! working 5935 !!! my most loved
algorithmic structure is not working. It may work otherwise. For sure I'm missing some nice
features of 5935, that won't stop my production as far as Smath can take.

Jean
Offline Alex M.  
#7 Posted : 18 May 2016 04:54:58(UTC)
Alex M.

Canada

Alex, my dear collab:

I guess you have been shiting brikcs with those gamicks. All what you are saying is in short
"evaporate Smath", same was for installing Mathcad 11. There should be a "Procedure" of these
steps in the page to download. In the few steps of the !!! working 5935 !!! my most loved
algorithmic structure is not working. It may work otherwise. For sure I'm missing some nice
features of 5935, that won't stop my production as far as Smath can take.

Jean

To be fair I always installed smath using MSI and never had to "evaporate it" myself. The procedure is for when things are broken.

I kindly ask you to post "algorithmic structure" .sm workbook here - I would like to see why it does not run on 5935. There might be some valid reasons for it - over past year Andrey implemented some fixes which, while making SMath logic more consistent / correct, invalidated some workarounds a user had to follow earlier.

P.S.: keep in mind that unlike MathCAD Prime / PTC, Andrey does not try to reinvent the wheel when releasing new versions. Troubles you are facing is rather an exception than the rule. Said troubles are likely related to not using official install to begin with.

Edited by user 18 May 2016 05:13:47(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Jean Giraud  
#8 Posted : 18 May 2016 07:14:20(UTC)
Jean Giraud

Canada

Here is Alex,

I tested few more, simple maths, very conventional, they worked fine.
The two here at the red, failed. Very nice from you to volunteer.

Cheers, Jean

Forum Alex.sm (86kb) downloaded 33 time(s).
Offline Davide Carpi  
#9 Posted : 18 May 2016 10:24:10(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Italy

Was thanked: 1323 time(s) in 873 post(s)
Forum Alex.sm (86kb) downloaded 33 time(s).

All works in latest nightly build [0.98.5981] Good

For readers, to have Golden(f(#),Φ,a,b,TOL) working like in 0.97, order of assignments inside matrices must be reversed (because straight order was defined in first 0.98 version, however rich scrollbar shows the error on evaluation, easy to find & fix).

Edited by user 15 September 2016 17:23:07(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

If you like my plugins consider to support SMath Studio buying a plan; to offer me a coffee: paypal.me/dcprojects
Offline Jean Giraud  
#10 Posted : 18 May 2016 17:37:10(UTC)
Jean Giraud

Canada

Originally Posted by: Davide Carpi Go to Quoted Post
All works in latest nightly build [0.98.5981]

For readers, to have Golden(f(#),Φ,a,b,TOL) working like in 0.97, order of assignments inside matrices must be reversed (because straight order was defined in first 0.98 version, however rich scrollbar shows the error on evaluation, easy to find

Thanks Davide. Good news for 5981.
I will take another plunge on the laptop Win. 10

Jean

Offline mkraska  
#11 Posted : 18 May 2016 19:08:43(UTC)
mkraska

Germany

Was thanked: 1119 time(s) in 717 post(s)
If you want to have multiple independent and non-interfering SMath installations, then the only reliable way is to use portable versions. I have more than ten versions in parallel on separate subdirectories of my main SMath directory. Just start the desired executable and then drag and drop the sm files there or open them from within the open instance.

To create a portable version, just unpack the linux version and place an empty file "portable.version" next to the executable.

The drawback is that you need to install all required plugins for each version independently. But then it is quite easy to track down the version, where particular problems originate.

If you want to double-click sm files for opening, then you can specify file associations using "open with" with your favourite version.

It would be very helpful, if the title bar of the window would show the version in case you have multiple instances of different versions open.
Martin Kraska

Pre-configured portable distribution of SMath Studio: https://smath.com/wiki/SMath_with_Plugins.ashx