Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Tinu  
#1 Posted : 27 August 2014 17:39:07(UTC)
Tinu

Groups: Registered
Man
Switzerland

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Tipp: Another way of using SMathStudio with Linux

after quite some trial and error I finally managed to get SMathStudio running under Wine.Clap
This seems to improve the appearance and some other inconveniences of using SMathStudio with mono are overcome.
File Attachment(s):
Wine_Installation.sm (37kb) downloaded 116 time(s).
Tinu attached the following image(s):
SMath Studio Desktop - [Wine_Installation.sm]_009.png
thanks 2 users thanked Tinu for this useful post.
on 27/08/2014(UTC),  on 27/08/2014(UTC)

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your SMath Studio Forum forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline mkraska  
#2 Posted : 27 August 2014 21:43:30(UTC)
mkraska

Germany

Was thanked: 1124 time(s) in 721 post(s)
Glad to hear that the portable distribution works under wine.

As to Maxima I can just guess: Might the problem be related to the socket connection? Can you run wxMaxima under wine? This has to be tested with the original windows installer of Maxima, because our messing around with the maxima.bat file corrupted the ability of wxMaxima (under Maxima-5.33.0.1\wxMaxima\wxmaxima.exe) to connect to Maxima. wxMaxima and the Maxima plugin use similar connections to the back end.
Martin Kraska

Pre-configured portable distribution of SMath Studio: https://smath.com/wiki/SMath_with_Plugins.ashx
Offline omorr  
#3 Posted : 27 August 2014 23:06:41(UTC)
omorr

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Serbia

Was thanked: 318 time(s) in 268 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Tinu Go to Quoted Post
Tipp: Another way of using SMathStudio with Linux

after quite some trial and error I finally managed to get SMathStudio running under Wine.Clap
This seems to improve the appearance and some other inconveniences of using SMathStudio with mono are overcome.

Could you give us the detailed instruction (step by step) of how did you do this?

Regards,
Radovan
When Sisyphus climbed to the top of a hill, they said: "Wrong boulder!"
Offline Tinu  
#4 Posted : 29 August 2014 15:25:39(UTC)
Tinu

Man
Switzerland

Originally Posted by: mkraska Go to Quoted Post
Glad to hear that the portable distribution works under wine.

As to Maxima I can just guess: Might the problem be related to the socket connection? Can you run wxMaxima under wine? This has to be tested with the original windows installer of Maxima, because our messing around with the maxima.bat file corrupted the ability of wxMaxima (under Maxima-5.33.0.1\wxMaxima\wxmaxima.exe) to connect to Maxima. wxMaxima and the Maxima plugin use similar connections to the back end.

I installed wxMaxima (windows installer) and get the error Not connected to Maxima.
According to an internet search this seems to happen quite often. I was not able to find any plausible explanation or remedy for this situation. Some people blame firewalls or security settings, of which I have neither on my Linux. Moving wxMaxima to another directory does unlock the settings menu (which doesn't work when wxMaxima resides in a subdirectory of Maxima) und thus enables one to set the path to maxima.bat manually, but this didn't work either.
Plain Maxima itself does work however.

The installation under Wine overcomes some of the well known drawbacks of the standard mono-version on Linux viz. no embedded pictures if file was created with windows-version (especially annoying with the interactive handbook), problems with certain plug ins, poorer visual appearance, garbled text regions, tab-key not working etc.

Unfortunately, there are still some further (minor) problems.
I get an impressive list of errors before SMath starts (successfully!) if I use the console to start it. (see attachment).
Being quite new to Linux, I am a bit at a loss.
My guess is that maybe I am still missing some vital dll?
I do hope some Linux guru can help further.

In my case the start command is:
env WINEPREFIX="/home/tinu/.local/share/wineprefixes/dotnet3" wine C:\\2014\ 08\ 24\ SMath\ and\ Maxima\\SMathStudio_Desktop.exe

Quote:
Could you give us the detailed instruction (step by step) of how did you do this?

Regards,
Radovan

I have tried my best Good -> see: second attachment

Martin
File Attachment(s):
SMath_errorlog.pdf (28kb) downloaded 67 time(s).
Smath_with_Wine.pdf (611kb) downloaded 173 time(s).
thanks 1 user thanked Tinu for this useful post.
on 30/08/2014(UTC)
Offline mkraska  
#5 Posted : 29 August 2014 16:35:49(UTC)
mkraska

Germany

Was thanked: 1124 time(s) in 721 post(s)

I installed wxMaxima (windows installer) and get the error Not connected to Maxima.

If I use the Maxima-Installation in the portable SMath-Distribution under Windows, then I get the same error. We did some changes in maxima.bat in order to work in a portable way with SMath. This may have corrupted the call from wxMaxima. The real connection test would be to install the original windows package for Maxima and try wxmaxima there.

I attach the origina maxima.bat. You need sufficient rights in order to create the temp directories and write to them.
File Attachment(s):
maxima.zip (2kb) downloaded 72 time(s).
Martin Kraska

Pre-configured portable distribution of SMath Studio: https://smath.com/wiki/SMath_with_Plugins.ashx
Offline Tinu  
#6 Posted : 04 January 2015 20:43:47(UTC)
Tinu

Man
Switzerland

SMathStudio and Maxima with Wine

Clap Latest inofficial portable version dated 16.11.2014 with Maxima 5.34.1 works on my system!
I have no idea whether this is due to changes in the plugin or in Maxima itself.

I have updated the installation instructions (see attachment).
File Attachment(s):
Smath_with_Wine_2.pdf (630kb) downloaded 216 time(s).
thanks 1 user thanked Tinu for this useful post.
on 06/01/2015(UTC)
Offline carlton  
#7 Posted : 24 April 2015 02:11:07(UTC)
carlton

SMathStudio and Maxima with Wine

Clap Latest inofficial portable version dated 16.11.2014 with Maxima 5.34.1 works on my system!
I have no idea whether this is due to changes in the plugin or in Maxima itself.

I have updated the installation instructions (see attachment).

This stops half way through saying it does not support 64bit systems (Ubuntu 14.10 64bit on HP XW6200)