Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline jojothehobo  
#1 Posted : 18 August 2015 00:42:42(UTC)
jojothehobo

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi All:
I have an older portable version of SMath Studio installed on my usb drive as part of a PortableApps group of applications. I absolutely love PortableApps.

Now I want to install the latest version of Portable SMath, and including Maxima seems like a great idea.

I have a couple of questions:

1. Can I install the SMath with Maxima on a usb drive PortablesApps folder and have it show up, and work, as a PortableApps application?

2. Can I install the latest version by running the portable SMathStudioDesktop.exe? in other words, will it over write the old version, or do I have do delete the old version and install the latest version as a fresh portable App?

Thanks for any help on this topic.

all the best
JojoConfusion

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your SMath Studio Forum forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline Davide Carpi  
#2 Posted : 18 August 2015 12:14:53(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Italy

Was thanked: 1323 time(s) in 873 post(s)
Hello jojothehobo,

As for the first question, I guess there are some licenses issues, as stated here (don't know if something is changed since the last message).

As for the second question, the portable version is not installed, thus you can have both an installed version and one or more portable versions on your system.
If you like my plugins consider to support SMath Studio buying a plan; to offer me a coffee: paypal.me/dcprojects
Offline jojothehobo  
#3 Posted : 18 August 2015 21:18:05(UTC)
jojothehobo

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thanks w3bSurf3r_reloaded. I checked on the issues you mentioned.

1. There are a couple of SMath studio portable versions. I agree that if I wanted to modify them in anyway, or package them in any way, I would have difficulties. It doesn't seem that if I wanted to install and use SMath with or without Maxima that I should encounter any difficulty. If anyone has a more definitive or other opinion on this I would appreciate hearing.

2. I agree that I should be able to have a usb portable and a desktop portable installed on the same machine. It would be great if I could simply click on the .exe and have it over write the older version and update. Still, it is a small matter to remove the old folder from the PortableApps.com folder and install the latest version. I know it is easy to just try, but if it doesn't go smoothly I don't have the time to mess around with corrupt files.

all the best
Jojo
Offline mkraska  
#4 Posted : 21 August 2015 02:11:14(UTC)
mkraska

Germany

Was thanked: 1120 time(s) in 718 post(s)
There is a portable distribution including maxima. Simply copy the archive to a destination of your choice (usb or built-in storage doesn't matter). Chances are good that it will work out of the box. Settings and extensions are stored next to the executable. In order to lauch SMath from an usb device on a foreighn computer (with .net installed), just navigate to the executable and start it.

You can have different versions of the portable version in parallel, just store them to different directories.

In a sense it is also a portable maxima distribution, but I messed around with the standard paths in maxima.bat such that it can be called in a portable way from within SMath Studio.

Martin Kraska

Pre-configured portable distribution of SMath Studio: https://smath.com/wiki/SMath_with_Plugins.ashx
thanks 1 user thanked mkraska for this useful post.
on 21/08/2015(UTC)
Offline kilele  
#5 Posted : 05 March 2016 08:55:50(UTC)
kilele

Was thanked: 132 time(s) in 113 post(s)
It seems that Portableapps.com will support .NET apps on 2016.
See their discussion about how to deal with .NET frameworks configuration: http://portableapps.com/node/52783

Edited by user 05 March 2016 09:02:40(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked kilele for this useful post.
on 05/03/2016(UTC)