Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline frapuano  
#1 Posted : 23 September 2016 15:18:25(UTC)
frapuano

Groups: Registered
Man
Italy

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Hi Davide,

in this period I am trying to help my daughter that is studying Physics abroad and I am writing and solving something about vector analysis for her.
I am using extensively the Writer Area ..but have issues to indicate -(for instance - a vector as a letter with a segment ( it would be better an arrow ) on top of it or to write a sqare root of something or indicate a power and so on.
I have seen that there is the possibility to enter math expressions ..but it is not clear to me which syntax to use to do this.
Please when you have a moment can you explain in more details how to do this.

Thanks in advance for your help and best regards

Franco

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your SMath Studio Forum forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline PompelmoTell  
#2 Posted : 23 September 2016 16:24:40(UTC)
PompelmoTell

Man
Italy

Was thanked: 109 time(s) in 93 post(s)
Franco rispondo italiano (altrimenti impiego un'ora). Scrivi in una math region la tua formula quindi ne copi il contenuto (con il normale Ctrl C di windows ma attento devi selezionare il contenuto e non la math region). Quindi apri la tua writer region e click sul bottone di inserimento matematica (icona con radice quadrata x) e nel form che appare incolli il contenuto della clipoboard (ad esempio a:sqrt(3)+vectorize(V)). Ovviamente se conosci bene i comandi matematici per esteso puoi farlo anche senza il copia incolla.
saluti
sergio

=== translation for further consultations ===

• Write in a math region your formula, the copy it (CTRL+C or from context menu);
  • Focus your WriterRegion, move the caret where you want to place the math and click the Toolbar's Math Object button (or press CTRL+M)
  • past the clipboard content in the dialog (CTRL+V)

Obviously you can write the math directly here, if you know the syntax (standard syntax, commma as argument separator, period as decimal separator)

Edited by moderator 25 September 2016 21:19:27(UTC)  | Reason: added english translation

thanks 2 users thanked PompelmoTell for this useful post.
on 23/09/2016(UTC),  on 25/09/2016(UTC)
Offline frapuano  
#3 Posted : 23 September 2016 17:29:54(UTC)
frapuano

Man
Italy

Grazie mille Sergio

Chiarisimo
Offline frapuano  
#4 Posted : 24 September 2016 12:43:22(UTC)
frapuano

Man
Italy

...Always bothering about Vectors , is there any way to write a varibale ( to simulate a vector ) in bold i.e. this way A, B or C.
Moreover I can simulate the dot and cross product of Vectors with a function and Matrices ...OK but is there any possibility in the future and in the mind of developers to use native symbol and functions to accomplish these operations , I guess that should not be so difficult and it would be very nice and good from and educational point of view .

Best regards

Franco

Offline Davide Carpi  
#5 Posted : 25 September 2016 21:25:09(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Italy

Was thanked: 1323 time(s) in 873 post(s)
Originally Posted by: frapuano Go to Quoted Post
...Always bothering about Vectors , is there any way to write a varibale ( to simulate a vector ) in bold i.e. this way A, B or C.

You can use the absolute variables (⁓name) [Tilde: ALT+0126]

Moreover I can simulate the dot and cross product of Vectors with a function and Matrices ...OK but is there any possibility in the future and in the mind of developers to use native symbol and functions to accomplish these operations , I guess that should not be so difficult and it would be very nice and good from and educational point of view

You mean to use #×# instead of/as alternative of #†# and #·# instead of/as alternative of #*#?

Edited by user 05 October 2016 00:20:54(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

If you like my plugins consider to support SMath Studio buying a plan; to offer me a coffee: paypal.me/dcprojects
Offline frapuano  
#6 Posted : 26 September 2016 13:27:31(UTC)
frapuano

Man
Italy

Davide

yes I would like that it were available the 2 operator natively without recurring to the user function approach.
As you can see below I am attempting to write some notes about vectors Algebra and I am struggling to achieve a decent result just from a typesetting point of view ( for now ) playing with the Unicode typeset ( even if I see that there doesn't exist in the world a way to type a k with a Circumflex for simulating the versor of the z axis ).
Moreover I would like that the vectors were entered not using the matrix approach but as is displayed in a textbook so as a sum of components multiplied by the respective versors , _Silvy3.png ( the versors can be even i,j and k with a Circumflex)

this would be really wonderful ..but I guess that is something difficult to achieve.
In this moment I am in stand-by trying to solve the problem to express the component of a cross product of vectors starting from a symbolic Matrix ( this is the reason of asking to Martin how to use again the Maxima plug-in)

Any help is highly appreciated, best regards

Franco

P.S. I haven't used obviously the determinant symbol herewith to do the Norm of a vector but a copy and paste of the vertical bar Unicode Typecode to avoid troubles with the symbolic engine.

_Silvy1.png_Silvy2.png
Offline mkraska  
#7 Posted : 26 September 2016 17:02:58(UTC)
mkraska

Germany

Was thanked: 1120 time(s) in 718 post(s)

Moreover I would like that the vectors were entered not using the matrix approach but as is displayed in a textbook so as a sum of components multiplied by the respective versors , _Silvy3.png ( the versors can be even i,j and k with a Circumflex)

this would be really wonderful ..but I guess that is something difficult to achieve.
In this moment I am in stand-by trying to solve the problem to express the component of a cross product of vectors starting from a symbolic Matrix ( this is the reason of asking to Martin how to use again the Maxima plug-in)

You can use SMath to demonstrate the relation between vectors, vector components and vector co-ordinates in SMath by defining base vectors and using exactly the notation given above.

The attached sheet is one of the image-producers for my SMath handbook (currently being updated), thus not nicely formatted and cluttered with snapshot regions, sorry for that.

vectors.PNG

Vektorrechnung.sm (119kb) downloaded 31 time(s).

SMath_Einf__hrung_120.pdf (328kb) downloaded 34 time(s).
Martin Kraska

Pre-configured portable distribution of SMath Studio: https://smath.com/wiki/SMath_with_Plugins.ashx
thanks 1 user thanked mkraska for this useful post.
on 27/09/2016(UTC)
Offline Jean Giraud  
#8 Posted : 26 September 2016 18:54:34(UTC)
Jean Giraud

Canada

Was thanked: 980 time(s) in 808 post(s)
Mathcad supported a bit more "decorative" expressions than Smath
about that: I was about the only user [Valery as well].
Objectively, to make Smath educative/productive, interpret the
the decorated book style to executable maths.

Remember that trig functions are numerical approximations,
deeply coded in Windows. They are normalised rational fractions
of default unit "rad". They also exist in ChebyShev polynomials.

Vector Maths.gif
Offline Jean Giraud  
#9 Posted : 26 September 2016 19:27:53(UTC)
Jean Giraud

Canada

Was thanked: 980 time(s) in 808 post(s)
Your angle symbol is [Alt0208Symbol].Smath 5346 accesses
not all Alt0key and NONE Alt0keySymbol. That's my reply.

Vector Maths.sm (20kb) downloaded 35 time(s).
thanks 1 user thanked Jean Giraud for this useful post.
on 26/09/2016(UTC)