Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#1 Posted : 07 November 2017 23:37:25(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Groups: Developers, Registered, Knovel Developers, Administrators, Advanced Member
Man
Russian Federation

Was thanked: 1978 time(s) in 666 post(s)
SMath Studio - SMath
Created by SMath LLC in the scope of SMath project. Published by smath.

SMath Studio

SMath Studio box

Tiny, but powerful mathematical program with WYSIWYG editor and complete units of measurements support.

It provides numerous computing features and rich user interface translated into about 40 different languages. Application also contains integrated mathematical reference book.

Free for personal usage! Plans for Organizations are available!

Application can be easily extended based on your needs. Built-in Extensions Manager tool allows to get access to hundreds official and third-party resources of the following types: usage examples, plug-ins, SMath Viewer based applications, snippets, interface translations, interactive books, handbooks and tutorials.

Excellent program. Thanks to his author for freely sharing such an amazing piece of software. Thumbs up. more...

by A Chang

I just discovered this project and WOW!: What a great alternative to MathCAD. I encourage engineers and scientists to try this app, you will be amazed by its power and versatility. Thanks to developers! more...

by Diego Nacif

Succeeds where MathCad falls short. Used daily as an electrical engineer. Highly recommend. more...

by Andy Burke

Screenshots of the new functionality

drawing_ss_1.png

drawing_ss_2.png

drawing_ss_3.png

Hint: See C:\Program Files (x86)\SMath Studio\representation\settings.prop (with Notepad) to create your own equations formatting rules.

Edited by user 15 November 2017 23:55:25(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 10 users thanked Andrey Ivashov for this useful post.
on 08/11/2017(UTC),  on 08/11/2017(UTC),  on 08/11/2017(UTC),  on 08/11/2017(UTC),  on 09/11/2017(UTC),  on 09/11/2017(UTC),  on 10/11/2017(UTC),  on 14/11/2017(UTC),  on 16/11/2017(UTC),  on 18/11/2017(UTC)

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your SMath Studio Forum forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline mkraska  
#2 Posted : 08 November 2017 00:23:03(UTC)
mkraska

Groups: Registered
Germany

Was thanked: 1120 time(s) in 718 post(s)
The new formatting options look promising.

Is there a reason for having all fonts downscaled to 80% in the pre-set configurations? I feel like compensating this by changing the font size to 12.

2017-11-07 22_17_28-SMath Studio - [Page1_].png
Martin Kraska

Pre-configured portable distribution of SMath Studio: https://smath.com/wiki/SMath_with_Plugins.ashx
Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#3 Posted : 08 November 2017 01:18:50(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Groups: Developers, Registered, Knovel Developers, Administrators, Advanced Member
Man
Russian Federation

It is just because of diference between fonts: Arial and Courier New. Arial looks more tiny and a bit smaller. But one of the main changes is that now SMath Studio fully supports all kind of fonts to be used in equations, so you can choose any other one you like (it can be done altering C:\Program Files (x86)\SMath Studio\representation\settings.prop file with notepad) or increasing font-size (you can set size=120% f.e.).
In future I will provide UI of such kind of customizations, but for now I need to fix several issues related to new approach of rendering equations.

Thank you for the comment!

Best regards.
thanks 1 user thanked Andrey Ivashov for this useful post.
on 08/11/2017(UTC)
Offline mkraska  
#4 Posted : 08 November 2017 01:37:32(UTC)
mkraska

Germany

Thanks, Andrey. I already saw that the 80% only applies to subscripts.

What is the idea about keeping smath sheets consistent between users? The same document can have totally different appearance if the users have different formatting settings. If I scale the fonts up to keep them readable this might create overlapping regions if they were created with different settings.

Will there be a choice to make the settings being part of the document? Perhaps with the option that any other user can deliberately override it with his own settings. But then he is in charge for any mess created.

A short test showed the following issues (some of them might be matter of taste). I understand this is work in progress...

formatting.png
formatting.sm (6kb) downloaded 63 time(s).

EDIT: The functions are deliberately set to italic in "Standard". Thus this can be fixed using a custom style.

Edited by user 08 November 2017 01:54:15(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Martin Kraska

Pre-configured portable distribution of SMath Studio: https://smath.com/wiki/SMath_with_Plugins.ashx
Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#5 Posted : 08 November 2017 02:01:40(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Man
Russian Federation

Yes, here is the idea:
1) settings.prop file located in ProgramFiles folder which means it is a part of distribution package and should not be changed by user;
2) During several releases we will test the functionality, so I have allowed to change settings.prop file in order to find the best final presents together with community (final presets will result in more or less equal equation sizes, so changing them will not break layout of already created worksheets);
3) As soon as final presets is determined changing of this file will become impossible or it will be just not suggested anymore;
4) UI will be developed to allow anyone to change presets using some convenient dialog with appropriate options but all the changes will become a part of the worksheet. Meaning that settings.prop file will never be changed.

Regarding errors you found: almost all of them are known (I also have about 10 others). 3-rd one is already fixed and will be a part of the next build. Changes introduced are very complex, so I expect it will take some time to make something close to ideal. But we will do it!

Thank you very much, Martin!
on 08/11/2017(UTC)
Offline mkraska  
#6 Posted : 08 November 2017 03:28:06(UTC)
mkraska

Germany

I felt encouraged to play around a bit. I wonder why the font in math regions must be scaled to 120% to result in the same font size as in text regions of the same font.

Perhaps we are entering an era, where people become more picky about appearance issues of SMath sheets. The monospaced text regions become inappropriate now...
Code:
  <drawing name="Standard MK">
    <math>
      <entry type="number">
        <font family="Times New Roman" size="120%"/>
      </entry>

<entry type="string">
        <font family="Times New Roman" color="#a31515" size="120%"/>
      </entry>

<entry type="variable">
        <font family="Times New Roman" italic="true" size="120%" />
        <subscript>
          <font size="100%" italic="false" />
        </subscript>
      </entry>

<entry type="function">
        <font family="Times New Roman" size="120%" />
        <subscript>
          <font size="100%" italic="false" />
        </subscript>
      </entry>

<entry type="unit">
        <font family="Times New Roman" color="#0000ff" size="120%" />
        <subscript>
          <font size="100%" />
        </subscript>
      </entry>

<entry type="special">
        <font family="Times New Roman" bold="true" size="120%"/>
        <subscript>
          <font size="100%" />
        </subscript>
      </entry>
    </math>
  </drawing>

formatting.png
formatting.sm (11kb) downloaded 77 time(s).
Martin Kraska

Offline Davide Carpi  
#7 Posted : 08 November 2017 03:28:24(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Italy

Was thanked: 1323 time(s) in 873 post(s)
I think that ideally in the final draft each user should be able to define his own styles in the %APPDATA% directory, then the attributes of used styles should be included in the header of the worksheet, and the files in the installation directory left untouched. Same thing for units. Just my 2 cents Wink

Edited by user 08 November 2017 03:32:27(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

If you like my plugins consider to support SMath Studio buying a plan; to offer me a coffee: paypal.me/dcprojects
thanks 1 user thanked Davide Carpi for this useful post.
on 08/11/2017(UTC)
Offline mkraska  
#8 Posted : 08 November 2017 04:14:38(UTC)
mkraska

Germany

Originally Posted by: Davide Carpi Go to Quoted Post
I think that ideally in the final draft each user should be able to define his own styles in the %APPDATA% directory, then the attributes of used styles should be included in the header of the worksheet, and the files in the installation directory left untouched. Same thing for units. Just my 2 cents Wink

Yes, and any user should be able to inspect/modify the definitions embedded in a document, perhaps in the document properties. This also applies for calculation settings. One could provide templates (examples?) with certain sets of settings.
Martin Kraska

Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#9 Posted : 09 November 2017 23:10:40(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Man
Russian Federation

Topic updated - new SMath Studio 0.98.6522 released.

New visualization approach improved and polished. The main change is that now SMath Studio knows if function/variable is defined by user or built-in and based on this different fonts may be used for visualization.

Note: new default formatting preset defined (I plan to use it in the upcoming stable release).

Please try and comment what you think.

Best regards!

Edited by user 10 November 2017 00:30:55(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 3 users thanked Andrey Ivashov for this useful post.
on 09/11/2017(UTC),  on 09/11/2017(UTC),  on 10/11/2017(UTC)
Offline alyles  
#10 Posted : 10 November 2017 00:10:16(UTC)
alyles

United States

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 57 post(s)
Thanks Andrey. This new functionality seems to work for me. I love it.
Feel free to join the SMath Studio Users Discord Channel: https://discord.gg/PayZpJW
Offline PompelmoTell  
#11 Posted : 10 November 2017 13:51:02(UTC)
PompelmoTell

Man
Italy

Was thanked: 109 time(s) in 93 post(s)
Hello,
I encountered the following visualization problem in the use of vectorize (equations formatting: Default, Old Style, Standard)

sergio

thanks 1 user thanked PompelmoTell for this useful post.
on 10/11/2017(UTC)
Offline Davide Carpi  
#12 Posted : 10 November 2017 14:27:07(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Italy

Was thanked: 1323 time(s) in 873 post(s)
Originally Posted by: PompelmoTell Go to Quoted Post
Hello,
I encountered the following visualization problem in the use of vectorize (equations formatting: Default, Old Style, Standard)

sergio

Seems that the boolean operator "greater than or equal to" is not drawn, unrelated to vectorize

I experience some horizontal misalignments (caret position, empty placeholders, ...), I am the only one?

2017-11-09 09_14_06-SMath Studio - [Page1.sm_].png

2017-11-09 09_09_12-SMath Studio - [Page2_].png

Edited by user 10 November 2017 14:33:41(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

If you like my plugins consider to support SMath Studio buying a plan; to offer me a coffee: paypal.me/dcprojects
thanks 2 users thanked Davide Carpi for this useful post.
on 10/11/2017(UTC),  on 10/11/2017(UTC)
Offline Jean Giraud  
#13 Posted : 10 November 2017 16:33:16(UTC)
Jean Giraud

Canada

Was thanked: 980 time(s) in 808 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Davide Carpi Go to Quoted Post
I am the only one?

You are not the only one Davide. Mathcad 11 was not better at all.

There are few things those days [equation colors ...]
My preference are different by priorities:
1. Work sheet background color ON/OFF by click, like Mathcad.
2. Copy a section of work sheet, paste in IrfanView.
3. Few more Windows convivialities [ copy/paste images ...]

Jean

Tips.sm (45kb) downloaded 60 time(s).

Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#14 Posted : 10 November 2017 23:29:26(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Man
Russian Federation

Quote:
I experience some horizontal misalignments (caret position, empty placeholders, ...), I am the only one?

Yes, I'm working hard right now to fix these issues.

Quote:
Copy a section of work sheet, paste in IrfanView.

Good idea. Will add this feature into the next beta release.

Best regards.
Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#15 Posted : 11 November 2017 00:37:57(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Man
Russian Federation

Topic updated: new SMath Studio 0.98.6523 released.

Many improvements done for equations visualization, restoring of performance on calculation and new functionality requested by Jean Giraud Offline implemented.

Please make sure you are using Default equations formatting (in Options dialog) as this preset is now priority 1.

Note: Linux problem is not handled yet.

Please test.

Edited by user 11 November 2017 00:41:32(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

on 11/11/2017(UTC)
Offline mkraska  
#16 Posted : 11 November 2017 03:02:10(UTC)
mkraska

Germany

Impressive rate of progress!

At low resolution/small font size, the old formatting is easier to read, mainly due to the blur of the thin-lined operators.

Pasting multiple regions as image is nice.

When the maxima-plugin is downloaded from the gallery and the offer to search for Maxima is confirmed, then the setup dialog automatically closes instead of waiting for user input. The dialog can only be used after next start of SMath.

Feature proposal: pan the canvas by drag with the middle mouse button (as alternative to use the scrollbars)

formatting.sm (28kb) downloaded 55 time(s).
2017-11-11 00_51_09-SMath Studio 0.98.6523 - [formatting.sm].png
Martin Kraska

Offline mkraska  
#17 Posted : 11 November 2017 03:30:54(UTC)
mkraska

Germany

Some issues with higher font sizes:

2017-11-11 01_25_59-SMath Studio 0.98.6523 - [formatting.sm_].png
Martin Kraska

Offline gabben  
#18 Posted : 11 November 2017 07:20:17(UTC)
gabben

Sweden

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Absolutely loving the changes (and software) - great work.Clap

Ive experienced some strange font scaling issues in in the two latest builds (using the latest right now). As I change the font size using either the settings menu or the toolbar option, the effect seems inversed and interacting with each other. Furthermore, they dont display the correct font scale value. As I press enter in the first image, one expects the typeface to get larger (from 7 to 14), yet the inverse happens. As I open the settings again, it displays a 10, and thus does not remember the latest changes. This effect doesnt appear to be linear, although its hard to notice when scaling.

The problem is not specific to any particular file, but occurs whenever I change font sizes, and persists through restart/new file.

bug_fontsize_1.pngbug_fontsize_2.png
Offline mkraska  
#19 Posted : 11 November 2017 12:07:36(UTC)
mkraska

Germany

The font settings under Tools> Options shouldn't have immediate effect at all. AFAIK this is just the default setting for new documents and can be overridden at any time by the toolbar entry for font size.

I'd recommend to clearly indicate the scope of the options in the dialog.

Some of them take immediate effect and there is no way to override the setting locally (per document or per region)
- precision of integrals
- multiple value results
- language, separator, equation formatting

Some of them are default settings applying only for new documents or for new regions
- result formatting
- solve interval
- color, font size...

BTW, I think that settings like multiple value results and precisions of integrals should have region scope.
Martin Kraska

Offline PompelmoTell  
#20 Posted : 11 November 2017 12:18:12(UTC)
PompelmoTell

Man
Italy

Was thanked: 109 time(s) in 93 post(s)
The reported problem persists (post #11), but it is specified that it is only for the >= and not for <=, > , <.

sergio