Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline sinneD  
#1 Posted : 19 August 2016 21:33:52(UTC)
sinneD

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Hi all-

Anyone using a MS Surface tablet with SMAth? Do you have any display issues? Or on any other high-res displays? its a 2736x1824 at 267 PPI display.

One of my pages erred out and then SMath resized the program window by itself. At first I thought that it might be a display scaling issue- I have had issues with other high res programs (Autocad for example)... info on this page

https://www.microsoft.co...ows-10&=undefined#S2

Here is a 'normal' page as it appears-

normal (Small).PNG

Here is SMath after it resized itself. The crop is the same size as the previous one

page-error-snip (Small).PNG

If I disable display scaling for smath, my page boundary for calculation area and output gets shrunk and the side menus get funky.

disable_scaling1 (Small).png

And here is how it outputs to pdf-
2DPlots_display_cropped.pdf (179kb) downloaded 23 time(s).

Anyone using a Surface? Any weird behaviors?

Dennis
Join the SMath Studio Users Discord Channel: https://discord.gg/PayZpJW

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your SMath Studio Forum forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#2 Posted : 20 August 2016 02:08:52(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Groups: Developers, Registered, Knovel Developers, Administrators, Advanced Member
Man
Russian Federation

Was thanked: 1978 time(s) in 666 post(s)
Dennis, thank you very much for all files you have provided! Video, worksheet and Excel sheet did great help to me.

So, I've started investigation and I see issue is in ImageRegion. You can disable or delete ImageRegion plug-in using Extension Manager and described issue with scaling will never happen again (SMath Studio will show Dependencies window on file open, but you can just Close it and press Yes in final confirmation dialog).

Regarding errors shown on the worksheet. They are because of "#N/A" retrieved from Excel sheet. Just open Excel sheet you use and correct content in order to fix this "#N/A" error in sheet cells - it will fix SMath worksheet as well.

Unfortunately I didn't manage to find an exact problem in ImageRegion, but it is only question of time...

Best regards.
Offline sinneD  
#3 Posted : 23 August 2016 23:37:29(UTC)
sinneD

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 7 post(s)
andrey et al:

It is the most curious behavior when the smath resizes itself on error.

I think that ImageRegion is called by the excelIO plugin. I use it to get a graphical report back of the cells I am calling on from excel instead of looking at the spreadsheet. I will try to turn it off.

I am patient for a fix and in the meantime happy to contribute my findings as I go.

Dennis
Join the SMath Studio Users Discord Channel: https://discord.gg/PayZpJW
Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#4 Posted : 23 August 2016 23:55:22(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Groups: Developers, Registered, Knovel Developers, Administrators, Advanced Member
Man
Russian Federation

Was thanked: 1978 time(s) in 666 post(s)
Originally Posted by: sinneD Go to Quoted Post
It is the most curious behavior when the smath resizes itself on error.

Yeah, it looks very strange.

SMath Studio has no logic to resize itself on error Crazy

This behaviour caused exactly by ImageRegion. Do not know why, but it seems this plug-in uses some calls to the Office or to OS which causes switching process-initiator into some safe mode. And because of this plug-in executed in the same process together with SMath Studio we have what we have - system switches SMath Studio to some special mode without asking anyone...

If this error appeared in latest versions only, then we must check previous versions of the ImageRegion to see what was changed their.

Best regards.
Offline Jean Giraud  
#5 Posted : 24 August 2016 06:52:43(UTC)
Jean Giraud

Canada

Was thanked: 981 time(s) in 809 post(s)
The PDF graph is partly OK and partly wrong:
partly OK because it recognises the graph region as an image and does no further processing.
Partly wrong because the Tablet apply an unknown "Zoom Tablet to enable the Print to file".
But that does not match the PC print to file. The Tablet zoom convenience is from non-compatible
zoom Tablet gadget. Print to file responds to standard but the Tablet is a gadget.
You can see all that from the letters not being all recognised on the PDF.

On the other hand, all PC's [expect some medical, dentistry, image prrocessing ...] are 96 PPI.
The tablet is 267 PPI. The f(x) runs on the PC 96 PPI canvas, thus when displayed on the tablet,
it appears reduced by a factor of 267/96

All in all, in short: the print to file and the display of the Tablet are not compatible.
Question is whether this particular Tablet is natively a beta not tested version.
Can it generate compatible PDF code or does it need to code the print to file accordingly
to its resolution. Maybe the answer is simpler: if the print to file of the Tablet is
a web gadget $0 instead of an original more costly version ... that is the answer.

I don't have the Mathematica tablet and surely don't want it even as a gift, but I wonder
if their users experiment such problems. Does Maple run on tablet ? Matlab ?