Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline PWP  
#1 Posted : 21 March 2012 17:54:47(UTC)
PWP

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
What a brilliant program. Thanks very much for your efforts.

I use SMath Studio to enter and study equations relating to a wide range of subjects I'm trying to learn.
It's exremely useful to alter the values of variables and note the effects on the solutions to such equations.

I think a more convenient method of altering the values of variables would also be very useful, although the current method of highlighting such values and typing replacement values is good and should be retained.

However, in addition to the current method, I think it would be excellent if we could highlight the values concerned and use the scroll-wheel to change them.

Rolling the wheel alone could increment/decrement values by one unit, Ctrl+rolling could increment/decrement values by 0.1 units, and Shift+rolling could change the values by a factor of 10.

I couldn't find this suggestion in the other posts. If it has been suggested and I missed it, sorry for repeating.

Edited by user 29 October 2012 16:42:48(UTC)  | Reason: slightly improved grammar - I'm a writer (technical)

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your SMath Studio Forum forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline sapri  
#2 Posted : 19 September 2012 05:22:58(UTC)
sapri

I'm also looking for similar feature - kind of function "Tambov's constant", or more precisely "Tambov's variable",where resulting value is known, and then with "fine-tuning" function-variable(s) quickly missing initial value could be found . (example in electronics: resistor networks 'dirty' calculation).

Possible visual implementation:
T[600.43]

where "T" is adjustable constant's name, with initial value in[ ],
and is manipulated by mouse cursor and scrollwheel.
(I'd prefer: select with cursor one of numbers in [],it becomes highlighted
and then with scrollwheel increase/decrease that selected number, with +-carry to bigger decimal places;
or arrow-key manipulation: left/right to change decimal place and up/down to change selected value (with carry)).
Offline PWP  
#3 Posted : 29 October 2012 09:39:13(UTC)
PWP

Yes sapri, good ideas all. Being able to highlight single numbers as you suggest would be a very useful addition, as would your idea of using the arrow keys in parallel with the scroll-wheel.

The comparatively low number of reads and replies to this idea probably indicates that mathematicians are occupied with problems on a higher level, which is to be expected. However, lower level students like myself grappling with the real-world meaning of engineering/physics equations would find features like these extremely helpful.
Offline kilele  
#4 Posted : 29 October 2012 12:49:41(UTC)
kilele

Was thanked: 132 time(s) in 113 post(s)
I already posted a link with such math visualizations, see
http://en.smath.info/for...-animation.aspx#post6251
One seems able to create "reactive documents" with a javascript library provided on that site, see the "Tangle" section.
If Smath could make use of javascript libraries, it could also take advantage of this other library for displaying LaTeX and MathML,
http://www.mathjax.org/

Edited by user 29 October 2012 13:32:41(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline PWP  
#5 Posted : 23 November 2012 13:46:21(UTC)
PWP

Thanks kilele, they were interesting and useful links.

I've had another branewaive that I'd like to see combined with the idea I expressed initially on this page.

When I want to examine the effects that differing values for particular variables might have on an equation, I enter an alternate value and then use Ctrl-Z and Ctrl-Y to quickly swap back and forth between the values and watch the results. Limited but useful.

It would be exciting (literally) if we could assign numerical values to key combinations and then paste those values into highlighted data fields in variables throughout a page.

Ideally, any value assigned to any of the key combinations could be pasted over a value highlighted in any variable by pressing the key combination.

Rather than a 'copy and paste' function, I guess I'm suggesting a multi-register 'data pre-entry and paste function'. Maybe every key on the keyboard could be used to store a value. (What, too much?)

Again, I'm aware that these are not the sorts of things on the minds of mathematicians, the primary users of Smath, but they would be of great practical value for people using the program a bit differently from the author's design intention (assuming I've interpreted it correctly).

I'd like to see this implemented along with the other ideas on this page. Of course, it's obvious that incorporating such things in SMath would be a great deal of work for a single developer who's already given us so much. I'm just saying . . .

Edited by user 14 May 2013 10:01:27(UTC)  | Reason: Correct a typographical error

Offline PWP  
#6 Posted : 14 May 2013 06:37:22(UTC)
PWP

Well, I just tried out the Viewer. To say I'm impressed isn't enough. I've been dreaming about something like this for a long time and now, thanks to the amazing efforts of Andrey Ivashov, it's here. SMath really has the potential to revolutionize the path to understanding mathematics in general for those who struggle with the subject, as I do.

I've posted this here because the ideas outlined in the posts above would enhance the SMath Viewer even more if it were ever possible to incorporate them. Still, even as they are now, SMath and the Viewer are truly excellent tools and would remain so even if there were no more releases (perish the thought). Thanks again Andrey.

Edited by user 14 May 2013 10:11:52(UTC)  | Reason: To correct a minor error; I can't leave them alone.

thanks 1 user thanked PWP for this useful post.
on 14/05/2013(UTC)