Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline stevec  
#1 Posted : 06 February 2013 02:48:51(UTC)
stevec

Groups: Registered
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi
I would like to ask for the following features to be considered (I am a new user of smath so if there is already a way to do this then please point me in the right direction)
1/ when the cursor is inside the parenthesis for a function the function's help tool tip pops up with the current parameter highlighted very much in the same way that excel does it, not just when typing the function name, it would make going back in and editing a parameter much easier especially with complicated functions. (alternatively display the same tool tip help in a floating window if the F1 key is pressed)

2/ file import / export functions when setting the parameter for a file name provide the ability to call up a file selection dialogue either by the right click menu or key press.

3/ provide a way (possibly through a right click context menu) to go to the definition of a highlighted function or if a variable the last place that it was set prior to the highlighted instance.

4/ again possibly through the use of the right click menu provide a way to highlight all instances of a variable or function (a 'where used' feature)

5/ editing equations is currently tricky if I have Xc=2*pi*f*C and I want to correct this to be Xc=1/(2*pi*f*C) I currently have to retype the equation as I do not seem to be able to enter parenthesis around an existing equation typing 1/( in front of the first equation results in Xc=1/(2)*pi*f*C

6/ when the result of an equation is too big to display such as a large matrix etc. then it would be preferable I think to display for example the first 5 or so lines of results and possibly the first 5 columns of data with ellipsis (...) to indicate that there is more data rather than the message that there is too much data to display
for example

[1 2 3 4 5 ...]
[1 2 3 4 5 ...]
[1 2 3 4 5 ...]
[1 2 3 4 5 ...]
[1 2 3 4 5 ...]
[... ] (I don't seem to be able to get the brackets to line up but hopefully you get the idea)

sorry if this seems like a lot of wants but as a new user making a lot of mistakes these ideas would I think make tracing errors and understanding what's going on a little easier

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your SMath Studio Forum forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline kilele  
#2 Posted : 06 February 2013 03:55:00(UTC)
kilele

Was thanked: 132 time(s) in 113 post(s)
I second your requests.

3/ and 4/
The forum member RisingEagle mentioned something like these features.
http://en.smath.info/for...on-Display.aspx#post8507
It could be like the effect on opera browser when you search a word with ctrl+f

6/
would you click over the ellipsis to fold/unfold data?

5/
just press space repeatedly before pressing division.

Edited by user 06 February 2013 03:58:14(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Davide Carpi  
#3 Posted : 06 February 2013 04:28:07(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Italy

Was thanked: 1331 time(s) in 876 post(s)
4/ is already available inside functions; place the text cursor near the variable that you want to change and press the F8 key, then you can edit all at once. (see 1st attachment)

5/ place the text cursor on the left of the first element, then push repeatedly the left arrow to extend the selection and then push the slash character to send the selection to the denominator. (see 2nd attachment)
In the same way you can add parenthesis to existing elements (cursor on the left -> selection -> press the left bracket )

regards,

w3b5urf3r

Edited by user 06 February 2013 04:50:54(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Davide Carpi attached the following image(s):
pt-4.gif
pt-5b.gif
If you like my plugins consider to support SMath Studio buying a plan; to offer me a coffee: paypal.me/dcprojects
Offline mikekaganski  
#4 Posted : 06 February 2013 06:10:04(UTC)
mikekaganski

Man
Russian Federation

Was thanked: 151 time(s) in 107 post(s)
2/ This could only work with built-in functions. Consider this:
f(path):importData(path)
How could SMath guess that when later I type "f(", the operand should be of type "filesystem path"? Furthermore, this requires an interaction between SMath UI and the functions, because even if SMath would know specifically that its built-in Import/ExportData need this, how could it know it about, say, DataExchange plugin's import/export functions? And then, it could only work when the function that is beeing used already has the correct number of arguments. Finally, what if user overrides the built-in function (i mean the same number of arguments)? While sounds interesting, I think, this is somewhat too complicated. However, there could be a menu item that could do just that: simply open file dialog and place the selected filename at the caret position (it could work without that much knowledge, regardless of the current context).

3/, 4/ This would be extremely useful, specifically outside functions. The culpit in 4/ is to check the scope of names, and the fact that a name could be used for very different purposes after each assignment (you could use this name as file name at first, then you could reuse it to be a loop counter, then as a value etc...). In the latter case, user could see all the instances of a name, but never realize that they are actually semantically different entities.

6/ +1, please also indicate the dimensions of such truncated data in the tooltip.
Best regards,
Mike Kaganski
thanks 1 user thanked mikekaganski for this useful post.
on 06/02/2013(UTC)
Offline stevec  
#5 Posted : 06 February 2013 23:36:24(UTC)
stevec

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thanks to you all for looking at this request

2/ Mike I was only really thinking about built in file operations such as importdata and even then as a user driven action such as a context sensitive menu option that could be selected if desired, but does not prevent the user from typing values directly into the parameter.

Thinking further on the importdata function it would be really useful if there was a way to preview a small section of the file to be imported (a bit like excel's import data from text file wizard) would it be possible to create a wizard along similar lines that would populate the importdata(9) parameters.
Another little annoyance with importdata is if there is a problem with the data import rather than just stating there is a problem with the data, indicate the line and the contents of the problem line.

3/ This feature I was thinking should be a 'go to' operation and recentre the page so that the function or variable definition is visible - useful on very long sheets to save lots of scrolling back and forward. a really useful extension to this would be to remember where the cursor was previously so it would be simple to go back to where you were

4/Mike thinking about this the highlighting could be somewhat intelligent one colour for where variables or functions are assigned / defined and a second colour for where the function or variable is referenced, this would make it obvious when a variable or function is being reassigned inadvertently.

5/ thanks w3b5urf3r and kilele, despite looking through the help I could not find this! some aspects of the user interface are not intuitive and the inbuilt help is very lacking in detailing how to use the interface. I appreciate this is still a young project which is still under going rapid updates.

6/ good idea Mike.
Kilele, I don't think unfolding data would necessarily be desirable if the dataset was too large to display, but Mike's idea to show the dimensions of the dataset would indicate if the dataset was as expected. If it is possible I think the number of rows and columns displayed in a truncated dataset could be user defined through preferences (within sensible limits).