Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline omorr  
#1 Posted : 24 August 2009 18:27:17(UTC)
omorr

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Serbia

Was thanked: 318 time(s) in 268 post(s)
Here are some of my "wishlist" items. I put them as they cross my mind.
I will delete them as soon as the SMath supports them (hope it would Good )

1. Better formatting of 2D, 3D plots
2. String variables
3. "break" option for the loop commands
4. function name as a function argument
6. multiline functions with "return" value option
5. Units support
6. ODE solvers incorporated into SMath
7. Non-linear system of eqns. solvers incorporated into SMath
8. Fitting functions incorporated into SMath
9. Numerical differentiation of introduced spline -interp- functions
10.Functions for the basic statistical distributions (d.., p.., q,.. functions - like in Mathcad)
More to add (or to delete) - will see Good

Regards,
Radovan
When Sisyphus climbed to the top of a hill, they said: "Wrong boulder!"
thanks 1 user thanked omorr for this useful post.
on 13/06/2013(UTC)

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your SMath Studio Forum forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline omorr  
#2 Posted : 02 May 2010 13:33:15(UTC)
omorr

Man
Serbia

omorr wrote:
2. String variables [DONE]
3. "break" option for the loop commands
4. function name as a function argument
6. multiline functions with "return" value option
5. Units support [DONE]
7. Non-linear system of eqns. solvers incorporated into SMath
10.Functions for the basic statistical distributions (d.., p.., q,.. functions - like in Mathcad)

I remembered to check my wishlist. In the recent versions some of them are resolved Good .

Regards,
Radovan
on 13/06/2013(UTC)
Offline omorr  
#3 Posted : 05 October 2010 16:43:59(UTC)
omorr

Man
Serbia

omorr wrote:
3. "break" option for the loop commands [DONE]
4. function name as a function argument [DONE]
6. multiline functions with "return" value option [DONE]
5. Units support [DONE]
7. Non-linear system of eqns. solvers incorporated into SMath [DONE]

I remembered to check my wishlist. Good Dance Biggrinancing: Thank you .

Regards,
Radovan

Edited by user 08 September 2012 21:51:58(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

on 13/06/2013(UTC)
Offline omorr  
#4 Posted : 05 February 2012 14:18:00(UTC)
omorr

Man
Serbia

Hello,
omorr wrote:

I just wonder if there is anyone interested to make some nonlinear fitting, optimization plugin.

I found some code on the net regarding Levenberg-Marquardt and Nelder-Mead methods. As I am not a programmer, have no idea if this free code can be plugin-ed for SMath. Actually, I would rather like that something like this was already implemented in SMath.

Regards,
Radovan
Offline omorr  
#5 Posted : 08 June 2013 16:51:07(UTC)
omorr

Man
Serbia

I might be boring and persistant, but I hope you would not mind Good
Here is again my wishlist from three years ago.

Originally Posted by: omorr Go to Quoted Post
1. Better formatting of 2D, 3D plots [DONE - plugin]
3. "break" option for the loop commands [DONE]
4. function name as a function argument [DONE]
6. multiline functions with "return" value option [DONE]
5. Units support [DONE]
6. ODE solvers incorporated into SMath [DONE - plugin]
7. Non-linear system of eqns. solvers incorporated into SMath [DONE - plugin]
8. Fitting functions incorporated into SMath [DONE - plugin]
9. Numerical differentiation of introduced spline -interp- functions [DONE - plugin]
10.Functions for the basic statistical distributions (d.., p.., q,.. functions - like in Mathcad) [DONE - plugin]

Not to much left Wink kind , regarding the plugins in development

Regards,
Radovan

Edited by user 08 June 2013 16:52:38(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 4 users thanked omorr for this useful post.
on 08/06/2013(UTC),  on 08/06/2013(UTC),  on 08/06/2013(UTC),  on 08/06/2013(UTC)
Offline marcofk  
#6 Posted : 05 July 2013 13:28:24(UTC)
marcofk

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Good to see that the features you requested have been implemented, Radovan! May I join the game with some requests of my own? here it goes:

1 - Style sheets - now that Andrey has implemented text formatting, since he believes that creating a graphical interface for this task is too time consuming, maybe the ability to use style sheets (I'm sure some users could come up with good ones) should simplify this task, whilst producing calculation sheets with professional looking formatting. Especially as the font selection is done by editing the .sm file with a text editor...
2 - Improved definition description: the option to have the definition description without frame and/or background and the ability to place it not just above the definition but below, to the left and to the right.
3 - Variable values in lines and systems (the curly bracket function): I did once ask Andrey about displaying the value of an expression within the definition, (i.e. x:= a + b = 4) and he said that it was complicated to implement. Although that would still be ideal, I'm thinking: if I can group my results in a line and display them together (it doesn't seem to be possible, all sorts of strange thins happen when I try), that could help "neaten up" my calc sheets by some margin.
4 - This is a bit far-fetched, but as MathCAD has great interoperability with Excel, the possibility to copy and paste a table from Excel and being able to access and manipulate its contents would bring its usefulness to a whole new level (extra brownie points if you can edit data in an Excel table in SMath and it updates automatically in Excel...).
5 - Portable version packaged as a PortableApp (as in PortableApps.com) for automatic updating: for some reason I cannot use the updater on my work PC, but I can use the PortableApps updater.
6 - For the same reason as above: all snippets and plugins available online to be packaged with the Portable version.

I'm not holding my breath, and I'm glad that, thanks to Andrey I don't have to pick a fight with my boss to get MathCAD. I'm curious to see how these feature requests pan out.

Regards,

Marco
thanks 3 users thanked marcofk for this useful post.
on 05/07/2013(UTC),  on 05/07/2013(UTC),  on 10/07/2013(UTC)
Offline John at the Waterfalls  
#7 Posted : 22 July 2013 12:28:37(UTC)
John at the Waterfalls

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I wish that there were a business model that would allow Andrey to quit his day job and give SMath his full attention or have it become a full software company for him.
Offline Celestion  
#8 Posted : 24 July 2013 23:48:40(UTC)
Celestion

France

First of all, thank you very much for having made Smath.

I share some ideas too :

- Possibility to make project (which would contain multiple pages).
- Tabs to navigate between pages.

- a := b + c = (the wish n°3 of marcofk).
- More fonts, Possibility to set the color of the comments. (style sheet seems to be a good idea Acute )
- URL management. Done
- Log, Log Log Plot

- More units / possibility to enable/disable theme units (electrical, mechanical, thermal, No-SI units),
- "µ" management in the auto-completion. (I have µ on my keyboard but "u" would be ok too)
- "nH" (nano Henry) and milliOhms should be added but I think that almost all units should have their prefix auto generated, then, it would remain to give the user the possibility to enable / disable units.
- To stay in the same range of unit when possible. Because for the moment : 1mm*1mm=1*10^{-6} m^2

- Combo box, checkbox, slider. (That would allow really cool things I think !)

Smath is already awesome though.

Edited by user 28 July 2013 16:06:18(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline callmeishmael  
#9 Posted : 31 July 2013 13:52:48(UTC)
callmeishmael

Man

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I'd also love to see implemented what Mathcad did not manage to do in many years: a proper word processing capabilities:

1) Customizable styles (font type, size, color..)
2) Titles styles with autonumbering and multiple levels
3) Automatic and "live" table of contents based on title styles
4) Labeling of equations: eg:
a=b+c-z [1]
d=e-f [2]

where [1] and [2] are automatic and sequential tags added by the user to some equations.

Offline marcofk  
#10 Posted : 18 February 2014 20:21:05(UTC)
marcofk

I see with version 0.97.9154 some of my wishes have come true! Thank you Andrey!

Just to stoke the fire, here's some more for discussion:

1) Equal sign "=", i.e. "Evaluate Numerically", only causes the value of the last assignment operation to be displayed in a "line" block, and it is in line with the first, rather than the last assignment operation. This seems to limit the use of line blocks to the right-hand side of an assignment operation to provide a logical visual output. Since you can use a line block to cluster assignment operations, I wish it would display the numerical value in line with every
assignment operation contained in it, i.e.:

|"First Input"
|A:= 1
|"Second Input"
|B:= 2
|"First Relationship"
|C:= A + B = 3
|"Second Relationship"
|D:= B + C = 5

2) Again in line blocks: when saved as executable, they will only display one input/output field in the SMath Viewer. This makes it necessary to use a style in laying out the calc sheet for the Viewer that is not very suited to a printed document. However, if you want to create an executable to produce standard calculation sheets, you either end up with a well layed out Viewer app or with a well laid out output document, but not both. There is already a way to hide expressions in the executable (collapsed areas), I think a better way to render line blocks would be to somehow frame them in the windows form. But, coupled with the issue at point 1, I suspect that line blocks were not really meant to be used that way, so, maybe, a new type of block/region/area would be necessary for this implementation? I like the ability to cluster expressions, so, maybe a "Group" command, like the one used with Shapes in Microsoft Office or AutoCAD might be useful there?

3) Rendering engine for text is more limited than maths rendering engine, e.g.: in a caption that refers to a variable with suffixes, such variable will not be graphically rendered (it will show as "A.b", for example), although you can still have greek characters using Ctrl+G, so why can't we have the same rendering capacity for text as we have for maths, with the only difference that spaces are allowed and evaluation is not performed? Surely, most of the work on the rendering has already been done for the maths region, so it should (and here's the wishful thinking part...) be just a matter of removing the evaluation part and including rendering of spaces and linefeeds/carriage returns that is already available in the text fields.

4) Some Design Codes (e.g. the dreaded Eurocodes) make extensive use of commas in suffixes for variables. A workaround is to use a semicolon as an element separator in lists, matrices, etc. This way the comma character is available as plain text for use in suffixes. However, when the document is re-opened, all the commas in the suffixes disappear. The calculation sheet still works, but it becomes inconsistent with the nomenclature of the Standard used in the calculations. Any way to fix that? All it needs to do is not to delete all the commas when you close (or re-open) an SMath document.

5) A few more options for headers and footers would be nice, especially the ability to have a standard template that can be filled in from the Viewer, possibly in tabulated form and with the possibility to include a company logo, just to give calc sheets a more professional appearance. Currently I use a MS Publisher template that I edit and load as a .png as a background in SMath, but that forces me to spread my calcs around the "cluttered" parts of the background picture. Ideally SMath should be stand-alone for any form of data input.

6) Log scale graphs please! Acoustic and electronic calcs use them heavily.

7) Some extra features for the formatting toolbar: I know that Bold, Italic and Underlined are already implemented (Ctrl+B,I or U respectively). But newbies (and I'm doing a fair amount of proselitysing) don't know about them. Also, currently, any font changes are handled by editing the code within each .sm file. I think a font selector or a style sheet selector (I know, I asked this before...) would make for a smoother user experience.

Edited by user 18 February 2014 20:22:53(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked marcofk for this useful post.
on 18/02/2014(UTC)
Offline mkraska  
#11 Posted : 20 February 2014 02:20:01(UTC)
mkraska

Germany

Was thanked: 1124 time(s) in 721 post(s)
Originally Posted by: marcofk Go to Quoted Post
Since you can use a line block to cluster assignment operations, I wish it would display the numerical value in line with every
assignment operation contained in it, i.e.:

|"First Input"
|A:= 1
|"Second Input"
|B:= 2
|"First Relationship"
|C:= A + B = 3
|"Second Relationship"
|D:= B + C = 5

By chance I saw that the function Assign() from the Maxima plugin seems to provide something like the requested functionality (with the word "Assign" spoiling the visual appearance). This function originally is meant to execute boolean expressions as they result from Solve(), ODE.2 or curve fitting as assignments, such that you can immediately use the variables downstream the sheet.

The line() function and immediate results display of assignments (or whatever the official name of that feature is) behave a bit unexpected.
File Attachment(s):
line.sm (8kb) downloaded 23 time(s).
mkraska attached the following image(s):
line.PNG
Martin Kraska

Pre-configured portable distribution of SMath Studio: https://smath.com/wiki/SMath_with_Plugins.ashx
Offline marcofk  
#12 Posted : 25 February 2014 16:18:48(UTC)
marcofk

You make a good point, and the word "Assign" is not too much of a spoiler to be used in formal calculations (and, anyway, it can always be replaced by a function, as per: Let(x):=Assign(x), just to make it fit with standard calc sheet lingo...)

I still get error messages when I click the "Thank" button, so consider yourself thanked.

Marco
Offline Andrzej  
#13 Posted : 02 March 2014 20:23:41(UTC)
Andrzej

Poland

New function substitution(data=>formula):
A:=5*kN
B:=10*kN
C:=A+B=15*kN
Substitution function:
C=5*kN+10*kN=15*kN
D:=2m
E:=5*kN*m
F:=C*D+E=35*kN*m
Substitution function:
F=15*kN*2*m+5*kN*m=35*kN*m
Offline mikekaganski  
#14 Posted : 03 March 2014 03:13:39(UTC)
mikekaganski

Man
Russian Federation

Was thanked: 151 time(s) in 107 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Andrzej Go to Quoted Post
New function substitution(data=>formula):

Well, this gonna be tricky.

A:=5*kN
B:=2*A
C:=A+B=15*kN
Substitution function?
Should it be this: C=5*kN+2*A=15*kN ? So that you want to substitute each variable with its definition. This will often give "suboptimal" results, like here.
Or this: C=5*kN+10*kN=15*kN ? So that you always want "simply" substitute simplest forms. This will give ugly results for all but simplest cases.
Or maybe even this: C=3*A=15*kN ? Try to algorithmize the process of decision...
Best regards,
Mike Kaganski
thanks 1 user thanked mikekaganski for this useful post.
on 03/03/2014(UTC)
Offline Andrzej  
#15 Posted : 04 March 2014 01:54:12(UTC)
Andrzej

Poland

Presented above is just an example. In my work, the values of A, B, C. .. have strict definitions and can not be replaced by other activities. The whole algorithm consists mostly of multiple pages and for checking calculations is very comfortable when he sees what is substituted into the formula. In Mthcad this function fulfills the command explicitly, but they are very uncomfortable to use. Top to the program will automatically insert all the values when you click a new character such as '->'.
In Mathcad:
A:=4*kN*m
B:=6*kN*m
C:=2*m
D:=(A+Cool/C explicite, A, B, C->(4*kN*m+6*kN*m)/2*m=5*kN
Convenient function (without data A,B,C):
D:=(A+Cool/C ->(4*kN*m+6*kN*m)/2*m=5*kN
Offline offshorewind  
#16 Posted : 06 March 2014 17:02:12(UTC)
offshorewind

United Kingdom

Is there a way to get an equation to fit onto an A4 page when the equation line length is longer than the page width please?

I know MathCAD can do this with control enter.

I have scoured the forums and googled this but not found an answer yet.

Thanks
Offline Davide Carpi  
#17 Posted : 06 March 2014 17:29:18(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Man
Italy

Was thanked: 1329 time(s) in 875 post(s)
AFAIK, there's no way... you can adjust the formatting using something like in the picture attached

Davide Carpi attached the following image(s):
2014-03-06 15_26_41-SMath Studio Desktop - [Page1_].png
If you like my plugins consider to support SMath Studio buying a plan; to offer me a coffee: paypal.me/dcprojects