Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Rising Eagle  
#1 Posted : 15 March 2013 22:11:30(UTC)
Rising Eagle

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Colored indexes would make them distinguishable from notational subscripts used only for naming purposes. Dark blue for indexes, black for any and all subscripts.

If an index has a subscript in its name, make the subscript black just the same.
thanks 4 users thanked Rising Eagle for this useful post.
on 16/03/2013(UTC),  on 16/03/2013(UTC),  on 16/03/2013(UTC),  on 16/03/2013(UTC)

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your SMath Studio Forum forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline Davide Carpi  
#2 Posted : 16 March 2013 01:27:01(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Italy

Was thanked: 1334 time(s) in 877 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Rising Eagle Go to Quoted Post
Colored indexes would make them distinguishable from notational subscripts used only for naming purposes. Dark blue for indexes, black for any and all subscripts.

If an index has a subscript in its name, make the subscript black just the same.

Great idea! The index colour could follow the "rainbow rule" of the graphs (blue,red,etc...) for nested indices, so a subscript of an index could have simply the same color of the index....

best regards,

w3b5urf3r
If you like my plugins consider to support SMath Studio buying a plan; to offer me a coffee: paypal.me/dcprojects
Offline omorr  
#3 Posted : 16 March 2013 10:35:37(UTC)
omorr

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Serbia

Was thanked: 318 time(s) in 268 post(s)
I like this idea Good

Different colors for units are already quite useful. Different colors for indexes would give us the possibility to relax a bit from a "never ending story" of explaining the difference to our students between the notational subscript and index.

Regards,
Radovan
When Sisyphus climbed to the top of a hill, they said: "Wrong boulder!"
Offline mkraska  
#4 Posted : 16 March 2013 17:27:01(UTC)
mkraska

Groups: Registered
Germany

Was thanked: 1126 time(s) in 723 post(s)
Colouring the indices may really help a lot. But how about handling the difference just as in printed math stuff? There are very simple rules:

• everything that can change (variable names including indices) is typeset in italic,
  • everyting that does not change (text subscripts, function names, i, e, pi, operators including differential d, units of measurement) is typeset in roman (upright)

However, for numeric constants that would not work, as they are always printed in roman.

Perhaps best would be to make this an optional choice in the GUI (smath legacy, coloured indices or formal math), where the latter two easily could be combined.

If we are diving into typesetting then I also would recommend to mark vectors and matrices using bold typeface. That would require some matrix tag in the variable name, much like the ' for units. And that would enable the symbolic engine to apply the correct algebra rules for matrices and vectors.

Edited by user 16 March 2013 17:29:53(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Martin Kraska

Pre-configured portable distribution of SMath Studio: https://smath.com/wiki/SMath_with_Plugins.ashx