Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Taylor S  
#1 Posted : 05 January 2024 04:58:30(UTC)
Taylor S

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

When I went to open SMATH a couple of days ago, the program notified me that there was a new version of SMATH and prompted me to install it. I did so, and SMATH will no longer open. I have tried several things to get the program to open including uninstalling and reinstalling the software from the website, but no luck. The loading bar that moves along a curved medium green stripe during the startup of the program always pauses and then aborts the program (as shown in the picture).

SMath_StartupIssue.PNG

I am running Windows 10. Is anyone else having this issue? Thanks in advance!

Edited by user 05 January 2024 05:06:43(UTC)  | Reason: Attached image to clarify and improve post.

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your SMath Studio Forum forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline Kenny Lemens  
#2 Posted : 05 January 2024 05:06:08(UTC)
Kenny Lemens

Man
United States

Was thanked: 61 time(s) in 38 post(s)
Greetings,

There are several plugins that prevent an old v0.99 version of SMath from opening, it is also possible that some Plugins are preventing your new version from opening as well; In the interest of debugging, did you remove/disable all of your currently installed plugins?

When you say that it will not open; does the startup SMath Loading screen popup and just close, or do you have no response/reaction when launching the application?

May this be of Good Help;
⚜ Kenny Lemens, P.E. ᵂᴵ
"No matter where you go, there you are." -Buckaroo Banzai

Hotkeys: https://en.smath.com/for...rce.ashx?a=45771&b=2
Offline Taylor S  
#3 Posted : 05 January 2024 05:09:45(UTC)
Taylor S

Man
United States

The initial screen pops up and the white bar begins moving along the medium green stripe, but then pauses and aborts the program. I am not sure how to disable any plugins for SMATH outside of the program itself (i.e. how should I try that without opening the program?). I don't think I have additional plugins installed, but I figured uninstalling the program and then reinstalling it would fix any potential issues involving plugins though. Any further thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks for such a quick response!
Offline Taylor S  
#4 Posted : 05 January 2024 06:09:49(UTC)
Taylor S

Man
United States

Perhaps as a follow-up, does anyone know if previous versions of SMath are available for download somewhere (i.e. could I download the previous version to use temporarily as it functioned without any issue)?
Offline Kenny Lemens  
#5 Posted : 05 January 2024 06:49:00(UTC)
Kenny Lemens

Man
United States

Greetings,

In the past, when I had similar issues; there was a bad setting/bad file within the install folder. If you uninstall it again, make sure to delete any/all information that remains in the /SMath Studio/ folder, before reinstalling it. Other then that, I have no great insight of your issue.

To your later point, you should be able to access any/all previous deployment here:

If reinstalling an old addition fixes your problem, just make sure to uncheck the "check for updates" option; else you will be prompted to update to a bad version (least for your computer) every time you open SMath.

⚜ Kenny Lemens, P.E. ᵂᴵ

Offline Davide Carpi  
#6 Posted : 05 January 2024 07:16:20(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Italy

Was thanked: 1329 time(s) in 875 post(s)
Without reinstalling, try to navigate to the %APPDATA% path and rename the SMath folder (something like SMath-original), then launch SMath Studio again.
If you like my plugins consider to support SMath Studio buying a plan; to offer me a coffee: paypal.me/dcprojects
Offline Taylor S  
#7 Posted : 05 January 2024 08:22:20(UTC)
Taylor S

Man
United States

I tried uninstalling again per your recommendation @Kenny and when I went to delete any leftover files, I discovered that the Units file had not been removed. I had modified the Units file in August so that it would default to imperial units and had forgotten about this. I'm not sure why, but apparently SMath is not fond of the old Units file in the newest version. I deleted the modified file and reinstalled, and now it works. I will have to figure out how to modify the Units file again, but at least it is working! Thank you both for your help!
Offline Kenny Lemens  
#8 Posted : 05 January 2024 08:40:18(UTC)
Kenny Lemens

Man
United States

Greetings,

Originally Posted by: Taylor S Go to Quoted Post
I'm not sure why, but apparently SMath is not fond of the old Units file in the newest version.

It is possible that your modified units file is fine. Please be aware that SMath will fail to open if those xml files (all files contained within that folder) contain duplicates entries of eachother. (e.g. You can only have (1) file that defines the term "gram" once). Same goes for constants, there can only be (1) declaration of a constant. My guess is that the new install inserted the default Units.xml, which came at odds with your customUnits.xml (you can either have one or the other), not both.

Glad to see you got SMath back up and running.

⚜ Kenny Lemens, P.E. ᵂᴵ