Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline João Pereira  
#1 Posted : 08 March 2024 09:01:20(UTC)
João Pereira

Groups: Registered
Portugal

Hello all

It's been quite some time that I've known for the non linear solvers of Davide, and always wanted to give it a go in solving some equations, but I don't think I understand fully how to operate them. Everytime I try and use the NewtonRaphson plugin I get an everlasting calculation, which I can only assume is some sort of continupus cycle, due to the fact that the expression itself is not difficult.

In the Attachment I will leave my sheet, as I would really appreciate any assistance on the subject. I'm here to understand the feature, as, again, I am very ignorant on the subject, and would appreciate every response I get.

Thanks in advance.

Error in NewtonRaphon plugin.sm (187kb) downloaded 12 time(s).

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your SMath Studio Forum forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline ioan92  
#2 Posted : 11 March 2024 06:01:39(UTC)
ioan92

France, Metropolitan

Was thanked: 153 time(s) in 119 post(s)
Hi Joao,

In the annexed file, I included a simple and robust numerical procedure - the dichotomy.
I hope to help a little,

Best regards,
Ioan

Error in NewtonRaphon plugin Ioan.sm (197kb) downloaded 7 time(s).
Offline João Pereira  
#3 Posted : 11 March 2024 08:24:06(UTC)
João Pereira

Portugal

Originally Posted by: ioan92 Go to Quoted Post
Hi Joao,

In the annexed file, I included a simple and robust numerical procedure - the dichotomy.
I hope to help a little,

Best regards,
Ioan

Error in NewtonRaphon plugin Ioan.sm (197kb) downloaded 7 time(s).

Dear ioan92,

First of all, Thank you for you very appreciated response.

Secondly, I must say allthough I can see you've achieve the same result as I did, I can't say for sure what exactly is happening in the numerical procedure you've wrote.
Is there any way you can explain to me what is necesserely happening? I'm extremly curious on what you did.

Again, very much appreciated any response you've given.
Best Regards.
Offline ioan92  
#4 Posted : 11 March 2024 09:44:28(UTC)
ioan92

France, Metropolitan

Was thanked: 153 time(s) in 119 post(s)
Dear Joao,

1. The dichotomy or bisection method is well known technique for finding equations solutions. Of course, there are some conditions for the right use. Take a look here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bisection_method

2. I used your equation as you wrote in your file. I simply avoided units. So the solution obtained is verified in your equation. You obtained the same; nothing abnormal.

3. If the result x/h = 0.225 is not acceptable for you, take a look on the input data and on the equation.

4. I've seen that in your Newton-Raphson application, the solution is outside the initial range you proposed.

Regards,
Ioan

Offline João Pereira  
#5 Posted : 11 March 2024 23:50:48(UTC)
João Pereira

Portugal

Dear Ioan92,

I understand now. Thank you very much for the responses and time availability, it has been truly helpfull.

Best regards for future projects