Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Tadeo  
#1 Posted : 02 July 2010 21:32:52(UTC)
Tadeo

Groups: Registered

Hello Everybody, I am a new oneGood.
It would be cool to reach free Mathcad Explorer 8.02 functionality
by SMath Studio soon. Is it real? Your project is great, however
lack of advanced symbolic calculations and of the animation tool
is very painful. I intend to recommend your SMath studio to my students.
Good SMath ideas and all the best.
Vsego dobrogo.
Tadeo

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your SMath Studio Forum forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline omorr  
#2 Posted : 02 July 2010 22:48:23(UTC)
omorr

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Serbia

Was thanked: 318 time(s) in 268 post(s)
Hello Tadeo,

I do not understand about Mathcad Explorer, sorry. It was intended to be as a Mathcad file viewer and it has discontinued long time ago.
SMath is developing very well and I hope the advanced symbolic calculation will be incorporated as soon as possible. However, you have to take into account that this is basicaly a one-man project (this was mentined many times).

Regards,
Radovan
When Sisyphus climbed to the top of a hill, they said: "Wrong boulder!"
Offline Tadeo  
#3 Posted : 02 July 2010 23:18:39(UTC)
Tadeo

Hello Radovan,
Many thanks for your quick answer and promising news on symbolic calculations.
I just wanted to say that full Mathcad 8 functionality and compatibilty could be
a reasonable goal for near future. Then you could think about approaching
the newer versions of Mathcad. I well know that it is one-man project and I am
really impressed ! Do you have any ideas how to share great work of Andrey Ivashov
with other people (e.g. students of computer sciences, math and physics).
I that case a developement of the project will be faster.
Regards
Tadeo
Offline omorr  
#4 Posted : 03 July 2010 00:44:48(UTC)
omorr

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Serbia

Was thanked: 318 time(s) in 268 post(s)
Hello Tadeo,

Tadeo wrote:
I just wanted to say that full Mathcad 8 functionality and compatibilty could be a reasonable goal for near future. Then you could think about approaching the newer versions of Mathcad.

SMath is quite different than Mathcad. I really do not believe that SMath will have some considerable support and compatibility with older Mathcad versions. I think that Andrey mentioned few times that compatibility with older Mathcad versions could not be obtained (proprietary format etc.). Some compatibility with Mathcad 14 is present in lower extent (different file format).
Tadeo wrote:
I well know that it is one-man project and I am
really impressed ! Do you have any ideas how to share great work of Andrey Ivashov with other people (e.g. students of computer sciences, math and physics). I that case a developement of the project will be faster.

SMath is free to use for anyone. Just use and enjoy with it. Share your oppinion and ideas with us how to improve SMath. Find and report bugs (they will be fixed in a short period of time by Andrey). Make some example files, put it on the Wiki and share them with other users. Write some tutorials, help files etc. Translate the interface into your own language. Some advanced users can write plugins, extending SMath features. I think these are some of the suggestions how to help this great project.

Regards,
Radovan

Edited by user 03 July 2010 00:46:25(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

When Sisyphus climbed to the top of a hill, they said: "Wrong boulder!"
Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#5 Posted : 03 July 2010 02:15:16(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Groups: Developers, Registered, Knovel Developers, Administrators, Advanced Member
Man
Russian Federation

Was thanked: 1978 time(s) in 666 post(s)
Hello Tadeo.

First of all, it's great to see every new person here on the SMath Studio forum! Welcome Friends

As Radovan mentioned it is impossible to support *.mcd files because I can't find any spec of this format (if anyone knows any details about it please let me know). But we have *.xmcd file parser and it's source code available through project's repository, so if anyone could help me to extend support of this format - this will be a great help.

Improving of symbolic calculations, numeric methods, graphics and etc. will be my next tasks on the way to develop a great tool for math and engineer purposes use - no doubt it is the future of SMath Studio. For now I just trying to make an easiest UI, to fix all the possible bugs/issues/problems and to create an excellent source code core for future improvements.

About ideas of how to share information of our project. Radovan is absolutely right, so I can just say one more thing: people from all over the world now uses www.wikipedia.org to collect and share information about different stuff and it will be amazing if those who finds SMath Studio an interesting project will create/improve pages about SMath Studio on Wikipedia. For now we have only two pages: http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMath_Studio (Russian one) and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMath_Studio (in English).

Tadeo wrote:
I intend to recommend your SMath studio to my students.

Thank you! Please, let us know about any problems you or your students will find using the program.

Thank you for interesting to the project!

Best regards, Andrey Ivashov.
Offline Optiker  
#6 Posted : 06 July 2010 17:37:32(UTC)
Optiker

As Radovan mentioned it is impossible to support *.mcd files because I can't find any spec of this format (if anyone knows any details about it please let me know). But we have *.xmcd file parser and it's source code available through project's repository, so if anyone could help me to extend support of this format - this will be a great help.

Hello all, new user here.
Older versions of Mathcad were ascii text. Would it help if I were to open and save an older mathcad file as a text file showing the file's innards along with the *.mcd file as well as a pdf of the file's printout?
Regards,
Optiker
Offline jruby411  
#7 Posted : 21 October 2010 22:39:04(UTC)
jruby411

@smath,

I am new to this forum and SMath. Cool program. I have been having problems reading/converting Mathcad .xmcd files.

You mentioned a "project repository" for the plugin source code. I have poked around and have been unable to find this.

I am a very amateur programmer, but am willing to hack away at better Mathcad support.

Jeff.
Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#8 Posted : 22 October 2010 00:09:57(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Groups: Developers, Registered, Knovel Developers, Administrators, Advanced Member
Man
Russian Federation

Hello Jeff. Nice to see you on SMath Studio forum pages.

jruby411 wrote:
I have poked around and have been unable to find this.

Please see the comment to find out how to connect to our public repository. Full path to the XMCD plugin is [url=svn://smath.info/public/plugins/XMCDFileType]svn://smath.info/public/plugins/XMCDFileType[/url]. You can find the latest sources of the plugin here, so you should use the latest version of SMath Studio to be able to test your improvements.

jruby411 wrote:
I am a very amateur programmer, but am willing to hack away at better Mathcad support.

Please use the forum to ask questions regarding plugins stuff.

Best regards, Andrey Ivashov.
Offline MarceloNM  
#9 Posted : 10 December 2010 21:35:53(UTC)
MarceloNM

Hi!

Great job guys!
I am not a programmer, just a user utterly fed up with all the license requirements and unchallended customer rip-off from MathCad owners.
I am Really happy to support your work.

Since I can't program myself I am wondering when could we possible use SMath to open *.xmcd files?

Best, Marcelo
Offline jruby411  
#10 Posted : 10 December 2010 22:39:53(UTC)
jruby411

Marcelo,

I agree. I searched long and hard for a MC replacement. This project is the closest by far. I am willing to make it as good a replacement as possible. In my line of work I feel a little uneasy providing .xmcd files to our customers. I really want to be able to offer them an alternative.

With that in mind, I have started to "tweak" the XMCDFileType plug-in to make it work a little better. But, my "real" work has gotten in the way. If I can get back to it, I will post my progress.

So far I have fixed the following on my build.

1) variable subscripts import correctly
2) support for importing text styles (bold, italic, font face, font size)
3) preliminary support for parsing and saving the "settings" element
4) Text highlighting and colors.
This is where I have really broke something. Trying to fix it.
5) tweaked positioning and alignment issues.

The last time I tried to make it all work was November 11, 2010.

I am not sure about how to get my changes into the actual plug-in build. I have never contributed code to anything in the past. At some point I could just upload the modified .dll for others to use, but it would be better to get some of my changes approved for actual distribution.

Like I said, I will try and get back on fixing this sometime after the first of the year.

Jeff.
Offline MarceloNM  
#11 Posted : 11 December 2010 08:30:20(UTC)
MarceloNM

Jeff,

It sounds promising! I'll be looking forward to try your solution. One of the important missing element compatibility in my imported file were the 'for' loops.
Best luck,

Marcelo
Offline jruby411  
#12 Posted : 20 February 2012 23:23:01(UTC)
jruby411

Hello All,

I didn't know quite where to post this.

Since I decided to give the new 0.91 version a try, I downloaded the latest version of the XMCDFileType plugin to see what has changed. Not much.

Over a year ago I fully intended to "finish" tweaking this plugin to make it better, but things got in the way.

I noticed a disturbing change to the core canvas.dll file.

I was trying to improve the TextRegion's converted from MC by changing the font size, color, style, etc.
But, the TextRegion seems to be gone in the canvas.dll interface. There is a MathRegion, but no TextRegion.

So, my question is:

Is there a new method for accessing the "text" regions?
What is the way to achieve this equivalent function?

I don't have access to the canvas.dll source, so I don't know what has brought about this change. And can't figure out what functionality has replaced this feature.

I did a "grep" on the plugins directory and found "TextRegion" being used in:

DocxFileType and ExcelFileTypes plugins as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would like to contribute to making this plugin better.

Thanks,
Jeff
Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#13 Posted : 21 February 2012 03:14:02(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Man
Russian Federation

Jeff, TextRegion is now a plugin. So if you need it in your code you have to add TextRegion.dll to the project references. You can find this library in the "plugins" folder of SMath Studio's installation directory.

Regards.
Offline jruby411  
#14 Posted : 21 February 2012 20:36:06(UTC)
jruby411

Thanks,

Sorry I missed that.

I finally got it to compile. Debugging is harder than I thought. I have to "trick" VS2010 to compile and attach to a running process to debug. I think some of the problem is that I am using 64 bit operating system and you have compiled smath as "any CPU" this means 64 bit on my machine. So, monodevelop, sharpdevelop, etc. seem have a hard time with it. No problem, I can handle it.

I will actually try and finish working on this plugin this time.

Jeff.