Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Gluhm  
#1 Posted : 15 November 2012 17:07:05(UTC)
Gluhm

Groups: Registered
Germany

We would like to use SMath in our School and our pupils and teachers have huge bennefits from using SMath. So thanks for the great work.

Unfortunately a problem occurs. I can insert pictures into a file (insert > picture > from file) and the picture is shown correctly. I can move and resize the image without problems, but after saving, closing and reopening the file all pictures are missing. Only a white canvas remains where the picture were inserted. Changing the file destination (same folder of picture an file) didn`t help.

We are using Ubuntu 12.04 (Unity) with the latest stable version of SMath running with mono (with the latest mono-version from the official packages from Ubuntu). Our windows based PCs don`t have this problem.

Can anybody a ) confirm this bug/problem or b ) give me tip how to solve the problem. I could find two posts in the forum related to inserting pictures in Linux, but none related to this kind of problem. Is there anybody using a similar working constellation with Linux and SMath? (Ubuntu 12.04, older versions of Ubuntu or Opensuse etc.)

I wouldn`t like to switch back to Windows with our 30 School-PC´s again, but it`s a big problem if we can`t save pictures in documents properly.

I would be glad for any advice or hint to solve this problem.

Sincerely

F. Gluhm

Edited by user 15 November 2012 17:19:02(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your SMath Studio Forum forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline jabadu  
#2 Posted : 15 November 2012 23:02:57(UTC)
jabadu

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I had the same problem with an older portable version on windows. I switched to an earlier release, which worked. After the next release all problems were gone.

Maybe this is also working on your machines...
Offline gfneal  
#3 Posted : 25 November 2012 07:25:35(UTC)
gfneal

Man

Gluhm -

I have been experiencing this problem as well while using Fedora 17, Ubuntu 12.04, and Ubuntu 12.10. As an engineer by profession I thought I had finally found relevant substitutes in linux for the Mathcad/Autocad I use at work by using SMath and DraftSight. The disappearing pictures problem is a real setback for me, causing me to favor Windows 7 over linux at work and at home. It is too bad, since linux will become an option at my next desktop refresh at work.

When starting SMath from the terminal, one can see numerous libpng errors due to the presence of imbedded pictures in the file. You can read all about it at http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/libpng.html.

Since my client has gotten used to Mathcad style reports I will most likely return to windows as the OS of choice. I also tried wxMaxima and CompPad extension for OpenOffice/LibreOffice. CompPad has some promise, however now there is a java problem preventing the extension from loading. wxMaxima is a great program, however there appears to be a memory leak causing overheating of my laptop when I am away from the office, even when I closed the program before leaving. Recently I also experienced this with mathcad.exe showing up in the resource monitor as using a high percentage of CPU. The fan was blowing making a very loud sound when I returned to the office.

Another option may be to only perform math in SMath, then use OpenOffice/Libreoffice to compile a package of figures, then merge the two as pdf using pdfmod or pdfedit in linux. I have not tried this but may before completely giving up on linux.

Please post if you ever find a solution, and I will do the same.

Regards,
GFNeal
Offline agoessling  
#4 Posted : 28 February 2013 20:51:29(UTC)
agoessling

I am also having this problem on Ubuntu 12.10 64bit. Has anyone found a solution? This is a non-starter for using this software, as the ability to add pictures and diagrams is essential.
Offline jabadu  
#5 Posted : 27 March 2015 21:10:34(UTC)
jabadu

Even though this topic is rather old it seems it's still there.

I opened a document, created with SMath 0.93, in SMath 0.97 and there are no pictures shown, only white canvas. When I open a document, created with SMath 0.89, all pictures are shown.

It seems, the difference between the 2 files is the encoding of the picture inside the xml-file. In 0.97 the pictures were base64-encoded, in earlier versions not. When I copy the picture-code from the 0.89-file into the 0.97-file the picture is shown.

I use ubuntu 14.04 (on win7 it's all ok). It seems, on linux-systems SMath can't handle base64-encoded pictures.

Can anybody confirm this behavior?