Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Rising Eagle  
#1 Posted : 15 December 2012 03:19:56(UTC)
Rising Eagle

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 9 post(s)
In a sheet, the declarations and equations are global. We could draw a rectangle that sections off an area of the sheet where the environment is set up as local for local variables like the line function (local in exactly the same way that a line function works) but that still has the free-form nature of the global sheet, as opposed to the restricted linear format imposed by the line function. This would allow us to make tangential and corollary mathematical developments. A segment at the bottom of the rectangle would allow final assignment(s) to pass results back out to the global sheet. Sort of a free-form version of the line function.
thanks 1 user thanked Rising Eagle for this useful post.
on 16/12/2012(UTC)

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your SMath Studio Forum forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline omorr  
#2 Posted : 16 December 2012 11:02:31(UTC)
omorr

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Serbia

Was thanked: 318 time(s) in 268 post(s)
Hello Rising Eagle,

First of all, thank you for all your quite interesting and useful posts up to now. I am looking forward to more of them Good

If I understood you well regarding a subsheet option and the line() function, I suppose that suggestion coincide with some kind of worksheet area (Insert|area) where the newly defined variables and functions are supposed to be local to that area and not known to the global sheet. There should be an option to pass some assignments to the global sheet - maybe via global assignment already present in SMath (using ~ in front of a variable, although this might be confusing and a bad idea). On the other hand, it crossed my mind that this extension might apply to the snippets as well. Actually, snippets might have input and output variables and play some similar role like a function using line().

I hope I was right about all of this.

Regards,
Radovan
When Sisyphus climbed to the top of a hill, they said: "Wrong boulder!"
Offline Rising Eagle  
#3 Posted : 16 December 2012 15:07:37(UTC)
Rising Eagle

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Originally Posted by: omorr Go to Quoted Post
Hello Rising Eagle,

First of all, thank you for all your quite interesting and useful posts up to now. I am looking forward to more of them Good

If I understood you well regarding a subsheet option and the line() function, I suppose that suggestion coincide with some kind of worksheet area (Insert|area) where the newly defined variables and functions are supposed to be local to that area and not known to the global sheet. There should be an option to pass some assignments to the global sheet - maybe via global assignment already present in SMath (using ~ in front of a variable, although this might be confusing and a bad idea). On the other hand, it crossed my mind that this extension might apply to the snippets as well. Actually, snippets might have input and output variables and play some similar role like a function using line().

I hope I was right about all of this.

Regards,
Radovan

Radovan,

You are absolutely correct. Yours is a more thorough description of exactly what I had in mind than my own. I was unaware of the ~ operator. Thank you for pointing that out. I have been following your stewardship of the forums here for years and thank you for your innumerable interesting posts all this time.

Rising Eagle