Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Ricyteach  
#1 Posted : 16 December 2012 09:11:51(UTC)
Ricyteach

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
It would be nice if some more US/Imperial units were included "out of the box" that are common in the engineering profession.

Some examples:

pcf (force pounds per cubic foot; the preferred measure of "density", or unit weight, in civil engineering)
plf (force pounds per linear foot; the preferred measure of pressure in two dimensional analysis)
klf (kips per linear foot; the preferred measure of large magnitude pressure in two dimensional analysis)
tsf (force tons per square foot; preferred measure of large magnitude pressure in geotechnical engineering)
MGD (million gallons per day; preferred unit of flow measurement in environmental/water resources engineering)
cfs (cubic feet per second; preferred unit of flow measurement in hydrology)
cfm (cubic feet per minute; preferred measurement for unit flow in mechanical engineering)

There are probably a few more I could think of.

SMath is AWESOME by the way; I plan to start trying to popularize it among my engineering colleagues. Best regards on this community and for the project.

Edited by user 05 April 2013 22:40:37(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your SMath Studio Forum forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline Jarrinator  
#2 Posted : 20 December 2012 05:08:59(UTC)
Jarrinator

Man
Ecuador

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hello, you can define your own custom units, read the following post and learn more about it:
Custom Units.
You can also create a snippet with your custom units:
Snippets.
Ecuadorian Electronic engineer and MBA student at Salesian Polytechnic University.
Offline Ricyteach  
#3 Posted : 30 December 2012 21:31:31(UTC)
Ricyteach

United States

Thanks for the reply. Good

I know I can create my own units. The point of my post is to suggest including these units out of the box because they are very commonly used among engineers, and it would be much easier to get other engineers to try Smath if they didn't have to do any extra work or spend extra time to get the units working the way they need them to work. Most people are very pressed for time, and these are not specialty, used-every-once-in-a-while units. They are used every day by thousands of people.
Offline btowler  
#4 Posted : 30 December 2012 22:43:59(UTC)
btowler

United States

For what its worth, I'd love to see a preference that allows one to set the default units to English (ft, lbf, slugs, etc.)

For those outside of the U.S., feel free to mock our reluctance to adopt a sensible unit system. I won't disagree with you, but convention is convention.

Wink
Offline Ricyteach  
#5 Posted : 11 February 2013 22:02:54(UTC)
Ricyteach

United States

Agreed. American engineers are all trained to use SI units in school, but our clients don't want SI units. They want something familiar to them, and there is nothing we can do about that. So it would be very nice if the the English unit system (or better yet, a CUSTOMIZABLE unit system) was available as an alternative instead of having to edit every result. Good
thanks 1 user thanked Ricyteach for this useful post.
on 12/02/2013(UTC)