Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline maweilian  
#21 Posted : 18 February 2010 01:27:38(UTC)
maweilian

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I wanted to make a couple points in favor of commercializing Smath:

1. Many companies would not look favorably on their engineers using free software for their calculations and they certainly wouldn't make a free software solution the standard for their entire engineering department.

2. Charging a modest price for Smath would allow the developers to put in the time and resources to truly make Smath the best it could be.

Free is good for individual and academic users, but on the corporate level, engineering managers desire to invest money in practical solutions and receive a commensurate level of quality.

Will
Will Massie
Mechanical Engineer
Oregon, USA
Offline alexey  
#22 Posted : 18 February 2010 02:21:28(UTC)
alexey

Man

maweilian wrote:
But this is marketing, and there is a big difference between getting someone to buy your product and having satisfied customers who will recommend your product to others because the product was truly useful for solving their problems.

Sorry, Will, but your reasoning about marketing is very weak. You are talking about this topic exclusively from the negative viewpoint, just collecting number of forgettable tricks that every honest marketer would be ashamed off. Let's say that SMath project should be developed in such way that engineers start to prefer it not just because it comes for free or more cute.

That is the real message I am trying to deliver. I had no intentions to teach SMath guys how to make quick money. I just do not understand SMath promotion strategy and this is the source of my wonderings (as a marketer). Might be we are dealing with a new Steve Jobs? Then I would like to be thought at least Clapping

Edited by user 18 February 2010 02:23:00(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline maweilian  
#23 Posted : 18 February 2010 02:45:57(UTC)
maweilian

Man
United States

alexey wrote:
You are talking about this topic exclusively from the negative viewpoint, just collecting number of forgettable tricks that every honest marketer would be ashamed off. Let's say that SMath project should be developed in such way that engineers start to prefer it not just because it comes for free or more cute.

From my previous post, you will see that I actually agree with your point from the perspective of marketing. The developers should try to innovate and should market their future product by emphasizing what makes their product better than and different from their competitor. But, my point is that they must make sure, in doing so, that they preserve the functionality that makes SMath a useful tool.

I think that they need to include the best that MathCad has to offer, avoid the shortcomings of MathCad, be creative and original in how they achieve that functionality, and then move beyond MathCad in the area of new functionality and capabilities.

P.S.
Another thought, although I am no expert in this area, if the developers did commercialize SMath at some point in the future, I would think that there may be copyright issues if the interface too closely resembles MathCad.

Edited by user 18 February 2010 04:32:01(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Will Massie
Mechanical Engineer
Oregon, USA
Offline alexey  
#24 Posted : 18 February 2010 14:12:20(UTC)
alexey

Man

alexey wrote:
Might be we are dealing with a new Steve Jobs?

Ye, it seems we are really deal with a Steve Jobs reincarnation (he also prefer keep silence for a while).
Ok, let me be a Nostradamus for a while as well Beee and reveal before SMath community their fate and events that are going to happen ...
- SMath team runs no their industrialization and promotion campaign, that means
a ) gathering the initial user feedbacks;
b ) intensive bug-fixing;
c ) recognition and implementation of the most important features, from user point of view;
d ) building software image as a very responsible, collaborative and open.
- Since version 1.0 SMath (in a half year) become a commercial product
( if SMath guys are not fool, their price should be defined higher than corresponding MathCAD;
this is the most effective way to send your message to the market that "SMath is better" )
- After 1 year (2012 year) MathCAD will face real troubles from SMath (its sales will fall in 10 percents)
- The real SMath vs MathCAD fight starts
a ) MathCAD will use its pattens and whatever juridical tricks he can apply to through SMath away from the market;
b ) MathCAD will totally revise it prices and will try to repeat SMath in the same way as SMath repeated MathCAD;
- At the end of the year MathCAD will understand that it will be cheaper just to buy SMath, than invent a new wheel;
- Negotiation starts;
- 2013 year - SMath will be taken over by MathCAD by 3 million USD Biggrinirol: .

The end of this story Biggrinancing: , my congratulation, good job (but rather strange Confusion )!!!
Offline alexey  
#25 Posted : 18 February 2010 18:17:31(UTC)
alexey

Man

alexey wrote:
This is the end of this story Biggrinancing: , my congratulation, good job (but rather strange Confusion )!!!

There is nothing wrong that MathCAD will take over SMath (the more stronger should win), but we can take the following customer lessons from the predicted events.

Due to SMath simulated MathCAD in most of the cases, there following pitfalls for the SMath users in future:
- MathCAD, just from economical reasons (they have a huge customer base and they need to keep they obligation to them), will continue to support its initial solutions. In other words, SMath (at least its desktop and live versions) will be forgotten;
- users that use pure SMath specific features will be forced to port / translate their work to the corresponding MathCAD features (if they exist, of course);
- users, who based their business solutions on the SMath, will suddenly discovery that they have lost their key software provider (the more they invest in SMath, the more they are going to lose);
- and this is the better what can happen, the worth will be if SMath will just disappear from the market. Just lose to MathCAD, for example (never think of your competitors from the viewpoint you please).

Just imagine, SMath started to emphasize on its differences, then even if MathCAD (or anybody else) will swallow SMath there will no problems. Just to clarify:
- MathCAD and SMath are no longer competitors, though if MathCAD will even buy SMath it will continue to advance this solution and support SMath users;
- it might be even better (be bought by a company with large user base), because SMath will immediately obtain the largest auditory it can even imagine now;
- users, that used SMath specific solutions for a long time will be recognized as a most advanced and foresighted ones (how do you like it?);
- old SMath users will be greatly rewarded for their faithfulness, by having much more features in a shorter time;
- SMath prices will be definitely decreased, just because the new company will try to extend the customer base;
- and at the end, at last, SMath guys can have 7 million USD (instead of 3), because they have en-powered this company, because they discover a new place in the market, because they can promote and market they product properly.

Now, do not start to blame me as a MathCAD spy or supporter Air kiss .
If you do, then you do understand nothing Acute
Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#26 Posted : 19 February 2010 19:52:59(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Groups: Developers, Registered, Knovel Developers, Administrators, Advanced Member
Man
Russian Federation

Was thanked: 1978 time(s) in 666 post(s)
I am not a marketer, but I understand, that project should deliver new powerful intelligent user-friendly kill-features to be more tempting then any other programs. It's clear... but it is only one point. I am just a software developer. It's my job and it's my rest for 5-8 last years. Like any other man I like to do what I know and I cannot be good in plenty of different specialties. For example, I don't like to create images, write articles, advertise programs and etc. because it makes me tired and it takes too much time to make these, at least, not bad.

Also I understand that such type of programs requires list of must-have functionality to be implemented and I can't shut my eyes on it. Sometimes I do things, that Mathcad already have, yes. That's why you and some other users think that my plan is to copy Mathcad. No, no and no! I want to make SMath Studio as different (unique) as possible, but this should not be a goal, because this can negatively affect on usability.

About commercializing. I do not want to make users watching advertisement on project's sites. I do not want to make SMath Studio shareware, at least because I think it is still not ready and because I'm sure that this program SHOULD be freeware forever. So, it is free... But sometimes I want to eat Good That's why I have a job... 10 hours of every day I spend on work to make some money. As a result I have no too much time for development for my soul (i.e. SMath Studio). And this story not only about me - this is about most of software developers engaged on free projects. As truthfully Samar said: "We have no market strategy at all!". Yeah, we just make what we know...

But of course thanks, alexey for your advices! I've red it all and copied to my mind. Will try to use Good
Offline alexey  
#27 Posted : 19 February 2010 20:02:08(UTC)
alexey

Man

Thank you Andrey for the prompt and clear answer, I really appreciate it. And please, apologize me if I made something wrong by wandering about with my stupid questions. I am a marketer ( at least part of my soul Confusion )
Offline Greg Locock  
#28 Posted : 20 February 2010 06:15:11(UTC)
Greg Locock

Actually big companies are not averse to open source software. Octave, Linux and Open Foam are all in use by Fortune 500 engineering companies. I suspect Open Office is being used by some, and as an example the defined build for the tech computer I use includes two open source programs, crimson editor and winmerge.

So I don't think freeware is necessarily a problem.
Offline Mikey  
#29 Posted : 01 May 2010 21:44:16(UTC)
Mikey

I have recently discovered SMath Studio, and I am very excited to see some excellent work being done on a software solution designed to perform and document engineering calculations. I am a Mechanical Engineering professor who uses MathCAD every day, largely as an instructional tool (but I also use it for projects). While I really like MathCAD, I have grown frustrated that they have not offered versions for android or for linux. I am also frustrated by the fact that its price is so high for non-academic entities. I would like to be able to tell my students that it is used pervasively in industry and at engineering firms, but I know that is not really the case (perhaps because of cost). If the right set of functionality eventually appears in SMath Studio, I would have no problem campaigning for our institution to begin using it instead of MathCAD. If a lot of engineering schools make the switch, then the marketing issue could become insignificant since the emerging engineering workforce would be aware of a free tool (or even if it was not free, but inexpensive) at their disposal to do the documentation that they need to do.

That's just my two cents. And by the way, I think maweilian's points are spot-on, and it may just be a language barrier issue, but I do not always understand what alexey's points are. Much thanks to Andrey for the donation of his time and soul to the development of this exciting tool.
Offline omorr  
#30 Posted : 02 May 2010 03:09:02(UTC)
omorr

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Serbia

Was thanked: 318 time(s) in 268 post(s)
Hello Mikey,

Welcome to the SMath user list Good
There are lots of similar posts like yours on this Forum, including some of my own very first ones. Taking into account that SMath is primarely developed by only one person, Andrey Ivashov, this project is evolving quite fast. There are lots of user "wish lists". Feel free to take a look at them. We have Units in the recent version, translated interface to other languages made oparative within recent few days etc.I hope many of user wishes will be fulfiled, one at a time.

Regards,
Radovan
When Sisyphus climbed to the top of a hill, they said: "Wrong boulder!"
Offline Mikey  
#31 Posted : 03 May 2010 02:23:21(UTC)
Mikey

Thanks for the reply, Radovan. You are absolutely right that for a project such as this one (basically one person working on it in his spare time), it is developing quite rapidly. I have read quite a few posts in the forum and have noted an early comment you made about wanting something like the solve block. I believe Andrey's response was that he felt like that might take quite a while to implement a feature like that. Have you found a workaround? I need a way to solve multiple non-linear equations without a lot of extra work.
Offline omorr  
#32 Posted : 03 May 2010 03:08:21(UTC)
omorr

Man
Serbia

You are welcome Good

Although SMath has a similar interface and concept like Mathcad, there are quite a lot of differences. At the moment, there are no nonlinear algebraic and ode system solvers incorporated in SMath. Many users mentioned this already and would like SMath to be able to do that. Andrey is doing his best, but I know that he did not find a satisfactory way to resolve this and other problems connected with this yet. I believe sooner or later this will be resolved - incorporated, as plugins or implemented in some other way.

At the moment, you can try to use Newton-Raphson example from the Examples menu, or to try Broyden's method from SMath Wiki in order to solve the system of nonlinear equations. This is not an efficient way, might be time consuming and sometimes complicated. It might be suitable for fewer and not to complicated or very long equations. SMath needs some well established and efficient solvers of this kind.

Regards,
Radovan
Offline Claws  
#33 Posted : 03 May 2010 19:19:59(UTC)
Claws

What an absolute 'lode that companies wont use software because it's free! Take a look around the world and then come back. If company usage is the goal (which I don't necessarily think it seems to be), any company worth its salt will review and decide on SMath based on its QUALITY (etc.), not its price. I cannot believe that there are still people out there who think that Free = Worthless , it is an extremely antiquated train of thought.

Perhaps Andrey actually develops this application (his baby) because he really enjoys programming and not for possible monetary gain. What about the satisfaction of giving this powerful tool away to users and watch them solve complicated problems.
Theres a lot of reasons for a person to create great things, and money is but a fraction of that drive.
Offline Greg Locock  
#34 Posted : 03 May 2010 19:57:24(UTC)
Greg Locock

Re non linear equations.

One possibility would be for SMath to provide a GUI front end and then use GNU Octave as the computational engine. Octave has several solvers built in, including the very handy fmins.

Offline omorr  
#35 Posted : 03 May 2010 22:00:06(UTC)
omorr

Man
Serbia

Hello Greg,
Greg Locock wrote:
Re non linear equations.

One possibility would be for SMath to provide a GUI front end and then use GNU Octave as the computational engine. Octave has several solvers built in, including the very handy fmins.

I think this would note be so simple. Actually, I would not mind using SMath as a front end to, say, Octave or some other free computational engines. Contrary, it would be great - but I am not sure this could be possible at the moment due to SMath's way of working. I can not explain this and might be wrong, this is just my feeling. I suppose Andrey could explain this more precisely and in more details.

Regards,
Radovan
Offline maweilian  
#36 Posted : 03 May 2010 23:50:32(UTC)
maweilian

Man
United States

Claws wrote:
What an absolute 'lode that companies wont use software because it's free! Take a look around the world and then come back. If company usage is the goal (which I don't necessarily think it seems to be), any company worth its salt will review and decide on SMath based on its QUALITY (etc.), not its price. I cannot believe that there are still people out there who think that Free = Worthless , it is an extremely antiquated train of thought.

Perhaps Andrey actually develops this application (his baby) because he really enjoys programming and not for possible monetary gain. What about the satisfaction of giving this powerful tool away to users and watch them solve complicated problems.
Theres a lot of reasons for a person to create great things, and money is but a fraction of that drive.

I respect your opinion on this matter and even partially agree. But I would like to make a few points to clarify my perspective:

1. While I think Smath is a great tool, it still needs alot more work before I can use it everyday in my work.

2. This is going to take alot of development time and effort.

3. Andrey is only one person who has to work another job to support himself.

4. My conclusion therefore is that there are only two possible routes that will make Smath become a widespread tool of choice for engineers around the world: commercial or open source. The first option would allow Andrey to devote more time to the project or even hire help. The second option would open the project to a community of programmers who can help develop Smath into a robust and complete tool. QUALITY takes a great amount of time and resources to produce. Often it takes MONEY to encourage people to invest the time and resources necessary to make QUALITY happen. After all, Andrey must support himself and that won't happen for free. That being said, I do think that open source is a viable option, instead of one person investing ALL his spare time in a project, you can have many people who can each invest SOME of their spare time.

5. However, like you said, Smath is Andrey's "baby". It belongs to him. He has every right to keep Smath a closed project and I respect that. If he chooses to keep it the way it is, good for him, but it will develop more slowly and remain a small project.

Edited by user 03 May 2010 23:56:47(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Will Massie
Mechanical Engineer
Oregon, USA
#37 Posted : 15 September 2010 15:48:39(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Hi everyone!

This is a great job I'd like to congratulate. As many of you I'm a long time mathcad user and "fanatic" (since version 2 as I remember, for DOS, and I've been looking around fow a while for something similar to mcad but free)... And now, I finally found SMath (a few minutes ago I have to confess).

I use to import data from other programs (reading txt files into matrix), like LTSPICE (a good circuit simulator software, free too), or waveforms captured from soundcard acting as an oscilloscope (with programs like audiotester) to filter, analyze and process with Mathcad, and I haven't found this feature yet in SMath, but I'm just starting to know it!

I also have developed, using programming palette in mathcad, a customized library of functions well suited to evaluate my electronic engineering students (at Universidad Distrital Francisco Jose de Caldas, Bogota-Colombia). Nothing new, but I started this work because I couldn't find quiz generator software with the ability to generate random data as distractors in multiple choice quiestions based on complex (complicated) calculations (like those coming from transmission line equations involving trigonometric hyperbolic functions on complex numbers), without having to develop my own scripts in PHP, PERL or similar. Things to probe with SMath!

Recently I'm working in analyzing linear electric circuits by graphical methods, from obtaining and combining i vs v characteristics (XY plots)... I'm gonna start using SMath for this purpose right now!

I'm not a programmer (except for embedded applications in assembly language or C specially for PIC microcontrollers) but if there is something I can do for SMath project, just let me know, I'd love to collaborate!

And my comment about the new stuff that should include SMath, well, I believe that web, portable and handheld versions of this interesting application, as I have noticed, are pretty good innovations, far away from what PTC's Mathcad has done in this sense till now (and that Mathsoft's would have done better I guess).

Best regards

Francisco Zamora
fzamora@udistrital.edu.co
Assistant Professor
Universidad Distrital FJC
Bogota Colombia

Edited by user 15 September 2010 16:10:10(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline omorr  
#38 Posted : 15 September 2010 23:33:05(UTC)
omorr

Man
Serbia

Hello Francisko,

I would suggest you to spend some time browsing this Forum and the Wiki (tutorials, examples). If you like to contribute to the Wiki just go for it. As a Mathcad "oldtimer" you would not need to much time to get into the SMath features. Pay attention that it is different than Mathcad in many ways. You might need some things you are used to but I think sooner or latter those features would be implemented.

Regarding reading large data matrices from text files there is importData function at the moment.

Programming is a bit different than Mathcad's because there is a crucial thing about it - there is no support for multiline functions using programming palette.

Any contribution to SMath is welcome Good

Regards,
Radovan
Offline John at the Waterfalls  
#39 Posted : 30 December 2010 08:27:46(UTC)
John at the Waterfalls

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I think PTC only cares about high profit margins from large corporations. As a student, they do not want to bother with me. Oh why did MathSoft ever sell out.

From what I have read, Mathematica offers a $300 home edition and has a vision that people should focus on the math and not get bogged down in solving the problem. The $300 price tag kills Mathematicas vision. It also does not have an intuitive interface unless you are an acedemic.

I too believe in Mathematicas vision but I can't afford it.
Here is a link to it.
http://www.ted.com/talks...math_with_computers.html

Note that you do not see the user interface in this video, just a lot of gee wiz entertainment graphics

The big draw to MathCAD and SMath is the whiteboard type interface where I can insert pictures, diagrams and text boxes to explain what the calculation is about. All the other software requires you to work with equations in programing format which is very error prone and unintuitive especially for quality assurance purposes. I think I just repeated one of MathCADS sales white papers but lets face it, Mathsoft, the creators of MathCAD got it right when they created the program!

I think Andrey is doing the right thing with his programing here. I cannot think of any way to improve the user interface. Standard Mathematical Notation on a whiteboard interface is very powerful.

I can see the possibilities of giving a little kid SMath and some instruction.
I can see where SMath should be included in office software products to work alongside if not eventually incorporating spreadsheets.

I think the world would be different if SMath becomes as commonplace as word processors.