Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline SM  
#1 Posted : 20 August 2009 06:55:53(UTC)
SM

Groups: Registered

Amazing program. I am a Mathcad user for more than 25 years. This is the first program that I see can give serious challenge to Mathcad. Just get the units incorporated. The rest can come later. Wonderful.

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your SMath Studio Forum forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#2 Posted : 20 August 2009 08:38:05(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Groups: Developers, Registered, Knovel Developers, Administrators, Advanced Member
Man
Russian Federation

Was thanked: 1978 time(s) in 666 post(s)
Thank you Good
Please, come back soon and I will be glad to present the new release. This version (internal build for now) will have several key changes, like 3 built-in interpolation methods, interesting set of examples included in Setup (such as solving systems of equations, Runge-Kutta method and so on), important improving of multi-language abilities of the SMath Studio documents, indexed variables, many fixes and optimizations in the source code, full multi-threading, interface improvements.
Hope to finish new version till September starts. Units will be the next task for that next month... as planned Wink

Best regards, Andrey Ivashov.
Offline SM  
#3 Posted : 20 August 2009 23:42:42(UTC)
SM

>>Please, come back soon<<

I am stuck. Not leaving any time soon. My small contribution is on the way as saying thanks.

SM
Offline omorr  
#4 Posted : 21 August 2009 00:15:54(UTC)
omorr

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Serbia

Was thanked: 318 time(s) in 268 post(s)
SM wrote:
>>Please, come back soon<<

I am stuck. Not leaving any time soon. My small contribution is on the way as saying thanks.

SM

Hello SM,

I am a Mathcad "old-timer" as you. Andrey is making a good job here. I've discovered SMath two months ago, and was really got "hooked". In rather short period of time he made a great progress in SMath. I suppose there will be a new, quite improved, release in few days now.

Regards,
Radovan

Edited by user 25 August 2009 22:19:49(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

When Sisyphus climbed to the top of a hill, they said: "Wrong boulder!"
Offline SM  
#5 Posted : 21 August 2009 00:35:48(UTC)
SM

Hi Radovan,

I just discovered this site yesterday (I think you already know how). Let's support him in whatever ways we can. Spread the word. He is doing a great job. Forget the fact that this is one man's crusade; this is a serious challenge to big timer.

SM
Offline omorr  
#6 Posted : 21 August 2009 00:46:38(UTC)
omorr

Man
Serbia

I understand you and agree complitely, of course.

Regards,
Radovan
Offline alexey  
#7 Posted : 26 January 2010 19:11:31(UTC)
alexey

Man

Hello SM
SM wrote:
Amazing program. I am a Mathcad user for more than 25 years. This is the first program that I see can give serious challenge to Mathcad. Just get the units incorporated. The rest can come later. Wonderful.

Yes, it is. Let me consider its advantages and disadvantages as a software product (I am speaking here not as a user, but as marketer).
Advantages mostly are the following:
- It is industrial quality product with tuned GUI and just minor bugs;
- It is free, you need not to pay for it;
- It can be used as for smartphones as for desktop PC;
- It is compatible (not completely, but it does not very important in this case) with its main competitor and inspirer - MathCAD;
- and many others ...

There is only one disadvatage - it is not new; most of the features and even the main idea were just copied from MathCAD. SMath need to invent a "new idea" to become a commercial product. In other case, SMath will stay free forever (MathCAD can easily beat you, reducing its price to corresponding "student" edition).

What I am going to say, that SMath should start its investigations to be different. It should be possible suggest something amazing, not just lower prices (in the coming future).

Best regards,
Alexey
Offline omorr  
#8 Posted : 26 January 2010 23:03:00(UTC)
omorr

Man
Serbia

Hello Alexey,
alexey wrote:
Hello SM
SM wrote:

There is only one disadvantage - it is not new; most of the features and even the main idea were just copied from MathCAD. SMath need to invent a "new idea" to become a commercial product. In other case, SMath will stay free forever (MathCAD can easily beat you, reducing its price to corresponding "student" edition).

What I am going to say, that SMath should start its investigations to be different. It should be possible suggest something amazing, not just lower prices (in the coming future).

I have to disagree with you concerning the SMath disadvantage. Something "new" or "amazing" is not the point. There is no need for that. Andrey pointed out few times that his intention is to make SMath like a "front end" with the functionality similar to Mathcad. The main advantage of this concept is that SMath could be "open" to users or third party software. Just look at the most popular commercial math software. They are all "old fashioned - command line" oriented in general. Why are they so popular? Because they are rather extensible and the authors listen to their users.

Mathcad has always been "closed" and no any "student" or "low price" edition could fix that. There is no easy way to extend Mathcad for an ordinary user. You can not make any "packages", "function libraries" or "toolboxes" in an acceptable way. Although, there is a concept of "HANDBOOKS" but this is not a satisfactory way in the meaning of extension. Handbooks are free or commercial. There are rather few free Handbooks which incorporate new user made functions because it is not so easy to make them.

To make long story short, Mathcad users wanted some new functionality for years but Mathcad have never fulfilled their expectations. The main usage remains the same as 20 years ago. I hope that SMath will change this, at least a part of that.

Regards,
Radovan

Edited by user 27 January 2010 13:56:11(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline mickp  
#9 Posted : 30 January 2010 05:14:19(UTC)
mickp

I started with MathCad at version 1.5 - a very useful, but often infuriating program. I used it for system modelling, electronic circuit analysis, and image processing. Since retiring, I have looked for something to do mathematical modelling (I'm not yet brain-dead!), and some personal financial, etc. calculations & graphing.

I'd given up looking, and found Smath yesterday. Congratulations, I'm still getting used to the interface, but all the basics are there. I shall be using this quite a lot, and look forward to the program developing, and to more & more worksheets being published. I'll dig up some of my more general MathCad worksheets, and see if I can modify them, if they're suitable for publishing.

As a suggestion, some image display capability would be really good in Smath.

Keep up the good work!

Mick
Offline Greg Locock  
#10 Posted : 30 January 2010 07:33:33(UTC)
Greg Locock

You can import images. The patient can even draw images.

Offline omorr  
#11 Posted : 30 January 2010 13:26:37(UTC)
omorr

Man
Serbia

Hello Mick,

I also remember the version Mathcad v1.5. I think I even have it also on an old floppy (coverred with dust).
mickp wrote:
As a suggestion, some image display capability would be really good in Smath.

Please look at this post about Inserting pictures. If you need some more help you can visit SMath Wiki (nice tutorials and examples), or contribute to it with your comments or your SMath examples.

Regards,
Radovan

Edited by user 30 January 2010 13:30:09(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Greg Locock  
#12 Posted : 31 January 2010 06:12:34(UTC)
Greg Locock

Noobs. I bought v1.0! I've still got 2.52 somewhere.
Offline omorr  
#13 Posted : 31 January 2010 23:00:46(UTC)
omorr

Man
Serbia

Hello Greg,

It was really long time ago Sad . I just remember that the first versions of Mathcad could not insert and represent vectors and matrices in a usual notation. I do not remember from which version it started. For me, that was a revelation at that time.

Regards,
Radovan

Edited by user 31 January 2010 23:06:39(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline gfneal  
#14 Posted : 03 February 2010 08:26:59(UTC)
gfneal

Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I have Mathcad 14 now at work, after using SMath exclusively for about 7 months. I had previously used Mathcad for about a year on my previous job. Although Mathcad has the units-aware feature and subscripting for variables, I find myself returning to SMath for its simplicity and ease of use. Thanks for your efforts and a wonderful program to document my engineering calculations.
#15 Posted : 05 February 2010 04:36:59(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Quote:
here is only one disadvatage - it is not new; most of the features and even the main idea were just copied from MathCAD. SMath need to invent a "new idea" to become a commercial product.

I disagree.
Mathcad had for my use become bloated and over complicated of me. Avast array of functions I pay circa £600 to never use.

I personally just want to replace engineering hand calcs but done on a computer. To me that is the beauty of this program. I think units should be implemented though.
Offline gfneal  
#16 Posted : 05 February 2010 07:14:49(UTC)
gfneal

Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I agree that units would be nice to have in SMath. But I find myself in Mathcad using some engineering equations from sources such as Crane TP410, Flow of Fluids, and DoD 6055.9-STD, which require the use of values with certain units in order to obtain an answer in the proper units. For these one must divide out the units for values inside the equation, whose units were previously applied, then apply the appropriate units to the answer as required in the reference. On the flip side, I had prepared a calculation in SMath, saved as an xmcd file, then opened in Mathcad and applied units. This allowed me to find an error since I had not thought through the units sufficiently while in SMath.

Also I discovered that graphing in Mathcad, while having more formatting features, is much more complicated than SMath. So I agree that the beauty of the program is its simplicity and compactness, and units (subscripts as well) would be nice to have, otherwise keep everything just like it is!
Offline alexey  
#17 Posted : 15 February 2010 21:34:15(UTC)
alexey

Man

omorr wrote:
Hello Alexey,

I have to disagree with you concerning the SMath disadvantage ... The main advantage of SMath concept is that SMath could be "open" to users or third party software ...

So, if the main intention of SMath was to be extendable, why SMath is still closed? Why SMath hides such benefits from its potential users? Why, the feature which were recognized as the primary reason for SMath invention was simple forget? From the marketing viewpoint, SMath developers should deliver such "differences" first, to make a strong distinction between the existing and old, in his ignorance, MathCAD and the new bright solution - SMath. I would assure SMath developers, that in this case, their users will gladly forget about missed MathCAD features (like "units", for example), they would not even dare to compare it with such ancient and clumsy application as MathCAD, they will recognize and appreciate SMath for its own non-MathCAD features, they will even like it because of its incompatibility, because it is not the same (remember Apple with his Mighty mouse)!

"To make long story short", SMath developers are making the very first mistake from the product promotion point of view - they are focused on the reproducing of the features that are already exist on the market instead of pushing on their own innovations.

Dear SMath developers, I sincerely wish you become the best. So, do not smash yourself because of your ignorance in marketing, do not be so clumsy as MathCAD is. It will be really sorry if this project will fail just because it was so technically perfect that allowed himself forget about simple marketing rules. I do not like to be a Nostradamus, but if SMath will not change their strategy, the better what they will get - be bought by MathCAD Inc (hate it ... :censoredGood
Offline omorr  
#18 Posted : 15 February 2010 22:51:26(UTC)
omorr

Man
Serbia

Hello Alexey,

I did not quite get your point, sorry.

Considering the SMath as being "closed" I do not mind having a "core" SMath on one side and "plugins" on the other. Plugins can be made by anyone who is willing to, and could be shared with the rest of us. Andrey will make a tutorial these days about that. It looks to me as a project like "Lego bricks". I do not see any bad side about it.

If you look at the recent v0.87 you can see that even now SMath is quite different from Mathcad, considering that the version number is even far from v1.0.

The main problem, as I see it, is that SMath has very few developers and it heavely depends on their spare time.

Regards,
Radovan

Edited by user 15 February 2010 23:24:11(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline alexey  
#19 Posted : 16 February 2010 14:14:56(UTC)
alexey

Man

omorr wrote:
Hello Alexey, I did not quite get your point, sorry.

Hello Radovan,

The main point is that I am not scolding SMath at all and SMath need not to be defensed in front of me (I am a supporter of SMath, might be more efficient then anyone, by criticizing it). I just see the regretful mistakes from marketing viewpoint and like SMath guys to understand the main rules to attract the people. Just reflect, that most of the forum participants look at SMath as a future substitution of MathCAD (might be more powerful, might be more open and customizable, but the key message is the same - substitution). And this is where from my objections come, substitution strategy is no longer works in the modern world.

I perfectly understand, that, as a user, you need not no more; just the same staff with some additional features and improvements. But SMath developers should think further (it is their responsibility)! To be successful, they should be ahead of users, they should invent something that users do not expect, they should introduce new demands (as the chocolate at the Middle Ages). Just recall appearance of MathCAD 20 years ago, why it was so popular, why it get almost immediate success on the market? Answere is very simple - because it was different!!!

This is just my opinion. What I could really do for SMath, it is organize some kind of brainstorming, perform a marketing analysis for them (we could do it at the forum as well; they are welcome) ...
omorr wrote:
Considering the SMath as being "closed" I do not mind having a "core" SMath on one side and "plugins" on the other. Plugins can be made by anyone who is willing to, and could be shared with the rest of us. Andrey will make a tutorial these days about that. It looks to me as a project like "Lego bricks".

Sorry, but this feature already exist in MathCAD, users could write plugins by their own (so, it is also - not new)

Edited by user 16 February 2010 16:15:14(UTC)  | Reason: wrong url

Offline maweilian  
#20 Posted : 18 February 2010 00:12:03(UTC)
maweilian

Man
United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
alexey wrote:
To be successful, they should be ahead of users, they should invent something that users do not expect, they should introduce new demands (as the chocolate at the Middle Ages). Just recall appearance of MathCAD 20 years ago, why it was so popular, why it get almost immediate success on the market? Answere is very simple - because it was different!!!

As an engineer, I started using SMath because it provided a specific functionality that was extremely useful to my job: namely, the ability to clearly document and easily reuse engineering calculations. This is what I wanted, therefore, Smath was the right tool for the right job. Alot of marketing these days seems to be convincing people to buy something they really don't need, or making them pay alot of money for 1,000 features they don't need, so that they can get the one feature they really need. Thus, when I was looking for a solution to fit my needs, I was not looking for something "different" than MathCad. I would not pick out a hammer from my toolbox when I really need a wrench.

That being said, if the developers of SMath do intend to market their work, they should definitely seek to differentiate themselves from the competition. But this is marketing, and there is a big difference between getting someone to buy your product and having satisfied customers who will recommend your product to others because the product was truly useful for solving their problems.

If the developers of Smath do create new functionality not present in Mathcad, they must do so in such a way as to not sacrifice the central functionality of the program: to produce easy, reusable, and readable documentation of calculations. Improvements geared toward this end will produce truly satisfied customers (i.e. units, literal subscripts, etc.). This is what will make SMath the right tool for the right job.

My two bits,
Will

Edited by user 18 February 2010 00:27:45(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Will Massie
Mechanical Engineer
Oregon, USA