Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Lu_the_engineer  
#1 Posted : 28 April 2014 22:48:51(UTC)
Lu_the_engineer

Groups: Registered
Canada

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hello everyone,

I am quite new to this software and I haven't worked out the bugs with it. When I was using the modeller plugin to created a graphic for my reinforced concrete slab. It caused Smath to stop responding and my immediate reaction was to save and stop the calculations in order to salvage it. It turns out that saving was a mistake and it broken the file. Now with the file being unable to open and no backup, Thanks Onedrive, it has brought me here. I have attached the file in question to this post.

However, a few questions have been brought up:
1) What did I do wrong exactly?
2) Was there a bug in the creation of templates?
3) Was there a conflict been my library of plugins?
4) Where can I get more information in operating SMATH properly and more efficiently.

Anyways, thank you in advance.

- Lu the Engineer

Edited by user 28 April 2014 22:55:15(UTC)  | Reason: Grammar, Spelling, and Forum Rules

File Attachment(s):
CIV313-Design-Project.sm (312kb) downloaded 22 time(s).

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your SMath Studio Forum forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline Davide Carpi  
#2 Posted : 29 April 2014 00:21:47(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Italy

Was thanked: 1338 time(s) in 878 post(s)
Hello Lu... unfortunately the file is completely broken, unrecoverable Sad

Originally Posted by: Lu_the_engineer Go to Quoted Post

- SMath as for now doesn't make neither an internal or external backup copy; thus occasionally you need to save a backup copy, (especially if you work with big files).
- Never save a file when SMath (or any program without backup routines) notices you an unexpected error; when a program crash any internal task is killed, so each line of the file not yet saved will be lost forever...
[edit] Sometimes is possible to continue the work without causing the crash (read the options before clicking the messagebox), so save as another file and when the file is saved you can close it manually.

Is possible, but to know what goes wrong (and therefore fix it) should be better to know from you how to reproduce the bug. Sometimes a "big bug" could be reproduce with very small examples (recently Radovan has reported a crash due to big numbers in the 2Dplot region, maybe this could be related with your bug)

4) Where can I get more information in operating SMATH properly and more efficiently.

Just ask here Good
There are survival rules (like backups) that are for anyone, others related to what you do (like the use of i inside loops)

Best regards,

Davide

Edited by user 29 April 2014 01:11:46(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

If you like my plugins consider to support SMath Studio buying a plan; to offer me a coffee: paypal.me/dcprojects
Offline Lu_the_engineer  
#3 Posted : 29 April 2014 01:20:17(UTC)
Lu_the_engineer

Canada

Originally Posted by: w3b5urf3r_reloaded Go to Quoted Post
Hello Lu... unfortunately the file is completely broken, unrecoverable Sad

- SMath as for now doesn't make neither an internal or external backup copy; thus occasionally you need to save a backup copy, (especially if you work with big files).
- Never save a file when SMath (or any program without backup routines) notices you an unexpected error; when a program crash any internal task is killed, so each line of the file not yet saved will be lost forever...

Is possible, but to know what goes wrong (and therefore fix it) should be better to know from you how to reproduce the bug. Sometimes a "big bug" could be reproduce with very small examples (recently Radovan has reported a crash due to big numbers in the 2Dplot region, maybe this could be related with your bug)

Just ask here Good
There are survival rules (like backups) that are for anyone, others related to what you do (like the use of i inside loops)

Best regards,

Davide

Hello Davide,

That was some very unfortunate news. I was hoping you would be able to. However, that prove to be was futile, but thanks anyways.

However, I did mention that was using the Modeller Region Plugin(http://en.smath.info/for...er-Region.aspx#post12099) to produce the drawing. I followed the instruction there. Particularly, I produced a matrix that model a square and have it set to the variable "templates". After that I used the modeller region plugin to attempt to draw my slab. When set my templates to the variable (as done in the instructions). That is precisely when it crashes the program and I attempt to "salvage" it. Does that give any clues on what is going on?

Also, how do I apply formatting to my text. I can't figure out how to enable the highlight, colour, and other formatting function.

Thanks for your help,

Lu the engineer

P.S My SMath is loaded with every plugin on the online library, with no idea on how to remove them properly if they break.

P.P.S /Bug Thread considered fixed but questions are currently being asked/

Edited by user 29 April 2014 01:30:10(UTC)  | Reason: Forgot additional details, spelling, and grammar

Offline Davide Carpi  
#4 Posted : 29 April 2014 01:49:36(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Man
Italy

That was some very unfortunate news. I was hoping you would be able to. However, that prove to be was futile, but thanks anyways.

You're welcome... I've experienced myself the same issue, you're not alone Good

However, I did mention that was using the Modeller Region Plugin(http://en.smath.info/for...er-Region.aspx#post12099) to produce the drawing. I followed the instruction there. Particularly, I produced a matrix that model a square and have it set to the variable "templates". After that I used the modeller region plugin to attempt to draw my slab. When set my templates to the variable (as done in the instructions). That is precisely when it crashes the program and I attempt to "salvage" it. Does that give any clues on what is going on?

Thanks, I've produced a couple of crashes... I'll investigate a little bit more and I'll post the bugs in the BTS Good

Also, how do I apply formatting to my text. I can't figure out how to enable the highlight, colour, and other formatting function.

Simply highlight the regions and then click on the toolbar on the top of your worksheet.

P.S My SMath is loaded with every plugin on the online library, with no idea on how to remove them properly if they break.

To delete plugins you need to access the %APPDATA%\SMath\extensions folder, the plugins are stored inside "cryptic folders" (the interactive book made by Martin Kraska contains direct links to the folders; also, you can register an account in the Bug Tracking System and vote this request)

best regards,

Davide

Edited by user 29 April 2014 02:05:46(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Davide Carpi attached the following image(s):
2014-04-29 01_03_23-SMath Studio Desktop - [modeller.sm].png
If you like my plugins consider to support SMath Studio buying a plan; to offer me a coffee: paypal.me/dcprojects
Offline Davide Carpi  
#5 Posted : 29 April 2014 02:25:50(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Man
Italy

Added bugs in the BTS: SS-132

Don't know if one of these could be your bug, there's an attachment to make experiments...

Modeller causes SMath crashes w/o dialog if the template contains:
- wrong templates (i.e directly the polygon)
- imaginary numbers
- if you delete/disable a variable contained in the template (not directly the template)

Edited by user 29 April 2014 14:42:39(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Lu_the_engineer  
#6 Posted : 29 April 2014 20:08:57(UTC)
Lu_the_engineer

Canada

Hey Davide,

I just tested the file and you were right about the bug. It happens when set the matrix to the template variable rather than set a intermediate variable ( "shape" ) that designate a tag and the matrix. I speculate that by inputting it like this, it creates a infinite loop to which it breaks the file if you save it.

EXAMPLE:
OK:mat(0,0,10,0,10,10,0,0,4,2)
template:sys(OK,1,1)
=> Input into modeller region plugin

This is also an indicator of how I misreading the directions in the most spectacular manner. With such file breaking bug, I would advise that other should take caution and the author may need to patch this bug. Wallbash

Wise Wisdom Thing -> Oh well, Failure is just another step in learning and life.

- Lu the Engineer

Edited by user 29 April 2014 20:22:44(UTC)  | Reason: Adding Example and Wise Wisdom Thing

thanks 1 user thanked Lu_the_engineer for this useful post.
on 30/04/2014(UTC)