Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline csb531  
#1 Posted : 17 November 2014 19:16:10(UTC)
csb531

Groups: Registered
Netherlands

Hello,
I have made a large (23 pages) calculation sheet in Smath studio, and it worked fine. I have saved it, and tried to open it later, but could not open it. I got the message: "The index lies outside the matrix boundaries" ( <- translated from Dutch). It seems I cannot open the file anymore and lost a few days work! Can anybody help me??? Help smilie Please!! :'(

I must admit that the file was based on an original Mathcad (xmcd)file. Help is much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Edited by user 17 November 2014 22:33:20(UTC)  | Reason: removed the file with the bug, so that no problems arise from downloading it

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your SMath Studio Forum forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline Davide Carpi  
#2 Posted : 17 November 2014 22:00:17(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Italy

Was thanked: 1329 time(s) in 875 post(s)
Here you have the file fixed Good

Remember to make some backup copy when you work with big files.

I'll open a new issue in the BTS to show where is the bug (5 digits background color saved: "#fffff" instead of something else - I've changed it to white "#ffffff")

Do you remember if you have choosen a different background color for the strings attached (if yes, what color)?

best regards,

Davide

Edited by user 17 November 2014 22:19:49(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
test_kopie_FIXED.sm (300kb) downloaded 26 time(s).
Davide Carpi attached the following image(s):
2014-11-17 20_14_21-SMath Studio Desktop - [test_kopie_FIXED.sm].png
2014-11-17 20_17_34-SMath Studio Desktop - [test_kopie_FIXED.sm_].png
If you like my plugins consider to support SMath Studio buying a plan; to offer me a coffee: paypal.me/dcprojects
thanks 1 user thanked Davide Carpi for this useful post.
on 18/11/2014(UTC)
Offline csb531  
#3 Posted : 17 November 2014 22:30:08(UTC)
csb531

Groups: Registered
Netherlands

Hello Davide!
Thank you very very much for your fix! This will save me many hours of retyping the calculation!

The used color was probably a sort of pink or lila. Is not important, it should just be highlighted.

For the future: how can you fix such a problem? In notepad? And how do you find the line and item what is causing the problem?

Thanks again for your fast solution!

Best Regards, csb
Offline Davide Carpi  
#4 Posted : 18 November 2014 02:19:02(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Italy

Was thanked: 1329 time(s) in 875 post(s)
You're welcome csb Good

Yep, I've used notepad++ (encoding: utf-8; language: xml)

As first step you have to check the XML structure. You should see something like in the first picture attached.
The most common issue is that the file saving crashes and produces a broken code. In this case you have to remove/restore the last region and close all the tags from the inner to the outer (that must be </regions>). This is not the case of your file.

When the first step is not resolutive, as second step you have to find the source of the pain... The simplest way is a "binary search". Collapse all and then delete some regions, then try to open the cleaned file, until you have a working file. Then restore the file and remove less region until you have few candidates. Because I don't know what was the work that you have done in your last session, I've started my research from the bottom of the worksheet, removing 1,10,50,100,200,300... regions. Making the long story short, I've found that the problem was in more than one region, where the first was the 20th. The first idea was for some invalid character, so I've replaced your text with a simple test. Because nothing changes I've checked again and I've found the bug in the bgColor attribute.
In this case I've searched all the occurrences of "#fffff" and I've found all the issues (just my luck), the 2nd way would be a search with regular expressions or again the 2nd step for another different bug.

Even if you fix the issues yourself, I reccomend to share them here or in the BTS (also with simplified examples, when possible), to have further versions more stable Good

Best regards,

Davide

P.S. Bug registered as SS-1247

Edited by user 18 November 2014 02:44:42(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Davide Carpi attached the following image(s):
2014_11_17_23_49_48_test_kopie.sm_Notepad_.png
2014-11-17 19_52_32-_C__Users_Davide_Desktop_test_kopie.sm - Notepad++.png
2014-11-17 19_56_09-_C__Users_Davide_Desktop_test_kopie.sm - Notepad++.png
If you like my plugins consider to support SMath Studio buying a plan; to offer me a coffee: paypal.me/dcprojects
thanks 1 user thanked Davide Carpi for this useful post.
on 18/11/2014(UTC)