Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline jabadu  
#1 Posted : 20 March 2016 16:24:36(UTC)
jabadu

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hello world,

after a long time of absence to the SMath program, I just started again with playing around with the newest stable version (0.97.5890).

Here are some points I discovered in the different SMath "flavours":

The Cloud-version:

The missing palettes (e.g.programming, Greek letters or arithmetik) makes it hard to use the Cloud as a fully replacemanet for the desktop version (e.g. using it on an tablet with android).
There are tables with shortcuts to many (unfortunately not all) of these functions in the wiki. Could it be possible to put these wiki-pages into the help-section of the cloud, opening in a new tab? And even give the missing palette-functions a shortcut too?

The Viewer:

I like this concept! I know, it's new and still in beta, but there are some points missing/not functioning (?):
- You cannot use a system or a matrice for input - these things are not shown in the tabs
- the print dialog should be changed (IMHO). If you click on the print icon, you now get a page printed for each tab - 3 tabs means 3 pages (I know, this is because of the internal layout of the initial page).
The print-function would be much better, if there could be a "signal word" like ~~print~~ (or something else) as the name of a pagebreak. These pages were ignored, when creating the tabs for the viewer, but when you click on print only these pages would be printed. You could then even make a different page design for screen and paper!

The SMath program:

- I played around with systems. There is a funktion sys2mat somewhere in the forum (written by Davide Carpi). You'll need this function to work with systems. Could this function please integrated into the origin SMath-programm? I think it's already available as part of a plugin. But when I send a sm-file to someone not having installed that plugin, my sheet isn't be usable.
- It's an old problem (and I'm not sure if it's even a SMath- or mono-bug): On linux pictures inside a SMath-sheet are not shown - there are only white canvas. This happens with ubuntu, debian (I know, mainly the same ;-) ) and porteus (=slackware). Are there workarounds or is someone working on that point?

Years ago, there was an announcement for a java version in development. What happened to this? I cannot find anyhing newer as the announcement (I have in mind a basic screenshot...).

Nevertheless keep on working on this great program! Clap

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your SMath Studio Forum forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline Jean Giraud  
#2 Posted : 20 March 2016 16:38:43(UTC)
Jean Giraud

Canada

Was thanked: 981 time(s) in 809 post(s)
Edited 2016.12.15
Cloud is more limited than the desktoop version. Cloud does not have 100% of the desktop version.

Edited by user 15 December 2016 19:56:03(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline jabadu  
#3 Posted : 25 March 2016 18:01:35(UTC)
jabadu

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Sorry Jean, I didn't want to offend here anybody. I did not wrote, that this software was invented yesterday. I only remarked, that there are some minor things, that could be improved in my humble opinion.

The Cloud-version is only a viewer - ok, that info was new to me.

But the print-function in the smath-viewer (=executable version) could really be improved (test it with e.g. 4 tabs on screen - gives you a 4-page-printout for documentation of your calculation, where 1 page could also work!)

Happy Easter
Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#4 Posted : 25 March 2016 20:42:32(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Groups: Developers, Registered, Knovel Developers, Administrators, Advanced Member
Man
Russian Federation

Was thanked: 1978 time(s) in 666 post(s)
Hello.

Originally Posted by: jabadu Go to Quoted Post
The missing palettes (e.g.programming, Greek letters or arithmetik) makes it hard to use the Cloud as a fully replacemanet for the desktop version (e.g. using it on an tablet with android).

I plan to add palettes soon.

Originally Posted by: Jean Giraud Go to Quoted Post
Too much in there. More or less you are saying Smath was invented
yesterday or the day before. Cloud is not executable, download
open the dowloaded files. Cloud is just a viewer: like/don't like .

It is not correct. Cloud version designed to be replacement of the desktop version for simple worksheets.

There are tables with shortcuts to many (unfortunately not all) of these functions in the wiki. Could it be possible to put these wiki-pages into the help-section of the cloud, opening in a new tab? And even give the missing palette-functions a shortcut too?

I will think about it. Thank you!

You cannot use a system or a matrice for input - these things are not shown in the tabs

True. I plan to add separate table control to visualize vectors/matrices (both: editable and read-only modes).

the print dialog should be changed (IMHO). If you click on the print icon, you now get a page printed for each tab - 3 tabs means 3 pages (I know, this is because of the internal layout of the initial page).
The print-function would be much better, if there could be a "signal word" like ~~print~~ (or something else) as the name of a pagebreak. These pages were ignored, when creating the tabs for the viewer, but when you click on print only these pages would be printed. You could then even make a different page design for screen and paper!

Agree. Will review this functionality soon. Thanks!

Best regards!

Edited by user 26 March 2016 01:56:27(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Andrey Ivashov for this useful post.
on 28/03/2016(UTC)